Norman Irvine

Default adding 2nd light to 3 way lighting system ??

I have a light and switch at the bottom of the stairs and a switch at the
top floor. I would like to add a 2nd light at the top of the stairs above
the present switch to illuminate the upper stairs.

Hopefully I can tap into the existing switch.
Is this possible with no extensive rewiring of the system ???

Thanx for any replies

Len Shure

Hey I tried that on my own and now have two lamps that burn at half the
light. Don't know what I did wrong. Am thinking about just doubling
watt power of the light but would like to fix it right.

Norman Irvine wrote:
I have a light and switch at the bottom of the stairs and a switch at the
top floor. I would like to add a 2nd light at the top of the stairs above
the present switch to illuminate the upper stairs.

Hopefully I can tap into the existing switch.
Is this possible with no extensive rewiring of the system ???

Thanx for any replies

Harry K

Norman Irvine wrote:
I have a light and switch at the bottom of the stairs and a switch

at the
top floor. I would like to add a 2nd light at the top of the

stairs above
the present switch to illuminate the upper stairs.

Hopefully I can tap into the existing switch.
Is this possible with no extensive rewiring of the system ???

Thanx for any replies

You have wired them in series vice parrallel. I am sure one of the
electricians on here will tell you how to fix it.

Harry K

JerryMouse

Norman Irvine wrote:
I have a light and switch at the bottom of the stairs and a switch at
the top floor. I would like to add a 2nd light at the top of the
stairs above the present switch to illuminate the upper stairs.

Hopefully I can tap into the existing switch.
Is this possible with no extensive rewiring of the system ???

Thanx for any replies

You'll have to tap into the light, not the switch.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:55:16 -0800 Len Shure
posted:

Hey I tried that on my own and now have two lamps that burn at half the
light. Don't know what I did wrong. Am thinking about just doubling
watt power of the light but would like to fix it right.

Doubling the wattage won't do it.

_______________
Power ___/ \_______Light___Other half of power
_______________

The light above is on. If you flip both swithches, it will still be
on, but the current will flow through the bottom wire. You can put a
second light in parallel with the first light, and that will work.
But if you just put it in symmetry with the first light, that is, if
you put it between the first word "power" and the first switch, the
two lights will be in series and will each be running on about 55
volts (if using bulbs of the same wattage). That's why your lights are
not bright.

Norman Irvine wrote:
I have a light and switch at the bottom of the stairs and a switch at the
top floor. I would like to add a 2nd light at the top of the stairs above
the present switch to illuminate the upper stairs.

Hopefully I can tap into the existing switch.
Is this possible with no extensive rewiring of the system ???

Thanx for any replies

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
indago

050220 1955 - Len Shure posted:

Norman Irvine wrote:
I have a light and switch at the bottom of the stairs and a switch at the
top floor. I would like to add a 2nd light at the top of the stairs above
the present switch to illuminate the upper stairs.

Hopefully I can tap into the existing switch.
Is this possible with no extensive rewiring of the system ???

Thanx for any replies

Go down to the panel and take the neutral wire for that circuit off the
neutral bar and hook it up to another breaker so that you have 220 at the
lights. That should brighten them up some...

Adding a single light to a dual switch light system Tom Edelbrok Home Repair 9 January 8th 05 08:40 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Adding inhibitor to CH system without draining Marc Lee UK diy 6 November 4th 03 03:38 PM
lighting gas pilot light Michael Home Ownership 5 October 31st 03 06:52 PM