Default BALANCING A FRIDGE

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator
in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps
in the freezer/food compartments.
There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold.
If I try to change the setting,
the freezer compartment gets too warm,
and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate,
the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

rj
SQLit

"RJ" wrote in message

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator
in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps
in the freezer/food compartments.
There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold.
If I try to change the setting,
the freezer compartment gets too warm,
and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate,
the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

rj

time to call some one to look at it

Ed

One of the controls will say "off", try putting this on the middle number,
this is the control that turns the compressor on and off. The other control
is used for air distribution. Set that to the center and see how it goes.
If adjstment are needed, use the air distribution control and leave the
other alone. The unit should have enough food in it to hold the cold and to
be able to take the effect of the defrost cycle.

Is the refrigerator in a heated room or is it in the garage or basement?

"SQLit" wrote in message

"RJ" wrote in message

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator
in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps
in the freezer/food compartments.
There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold.
If I try to change the setting,
the freezer compartment gets too warm,
and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate,
the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

rj

time to call some one to look at it

Rich

"RJ" wrote in message

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator
in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps
in the freezer/food compartments.
There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold.
If I try to change the setting,
the freezer compartment gets too warm,
and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate,
the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

rj

I have a Magic Chef as well. I have mine set at 3.5 for the freezer and 5.5
for the fridge.

Hope that helps? Rich

SJF

"Rich" wrote in message
news

"RJ" wrote in message

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator
in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps
in the freezer/food compartments.
There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold.
If I try to change the setting,
the freezer compartment gets too warm,
and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate,
the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

rj

I have a Magic Chef as well. I have mine set at 3.5 for the freezer and

5.5
for the fridge.

Hope that helps? Rich

I have a Sears branded GE side-by-side. Refrigerated air from the
evaporator goes to the freezer compartment. Then a regulated amount of air
from the freezer compartment is admitted to the cooling compartment by the
control provided for that purpose. Thus, it appears that the correct
adjustment procedure is to first adjust the freezer control to obtain the
desired temperature and then adjust the cooler control to admit more or less
chilled air. Some minor adjustment may then be needed. Maybe this routine
will work on your machine. --- SJF

Stormin Mormon

Typically, the refrigerator control is the thermostat, the freezer control
opens and closes an air duct from one side to the other.

Like the others say, set the controls in the middle. Change the controls one
letter at a time, and wait 24 hours before deciding if you want to change it
one more letter.

If you set either control to the max one way or the other, you usually
create more trouble than it's worth.

I changed a compressor last week for a very intelligent lady. She called
back the next day to tell me the temps were off (20F freezer, 50F refrig).
We spent several minutes on the phone, and finally I figured out she turned
the controls to max cold, to get the thing going. Wrong thing to do! I
suggested she turn them back to where they oughta be, and quit trying to get
the machine to do things it's not designed to do. I havn't heard back from
her. In the service industry, if they don't call, it's working fine.

Makes me wonder if you've got the knobs reversed, or if you're turning them
in the wrong directions? Or if there is some other problem like a bad
evaporator fan. Hmm.....

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RJ" wrote in message

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator
in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps
in the freezer/food compartments.
There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold.
If I try to change the setting,
the freezer compartment gets too warm,
and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate,
the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

rj

bumtracks

I was getting worried about fridge temps,
bought a $5 fridge thermometer - proved I should worry.
Turned out to be a 2 liter pepsi bottle sitting sideways in back of fridge
blocking the fridge2freeze duct.

Built in fridge problem Peter UK diy 2 December 1st 04 04:25 PM
loud, high-pitched fridge Emilia's Human Home Repair 6 November 28th 04 03:38 PM
Integrated fridge John UK diy 3 April 29th 04 12:08 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 10:12 PM
Problem with Fridge Freezer [email protected] UK diy 1 July 29th 03 09:23 PM