JackRabbit

Default Basement stairs

I am remodeling the basement. Its a new house. When the builders did the
basement, they put blueboard on both sides of the stairs running all the way
down to the basement floor. Instead of making the walls smooth with veneer
plaster, they put the same texture on the walls as they did on the ceiling.

I really want smooth walls. I think you probably know what I am going to
write next. What should I do ?? I was thinking I should tear it all out
and replace it -or- figure out a way to get rid of the texture. I can't put
a layer of wallboard on top of it because that won't leave me enough room to
install a skirtboard when I finish off the stairs.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Why not put a coat of veneer plaster over the texture?

BP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not put a coat of veneer plaster over the texture?

That is what you want to do. It is done all the time.

Ed

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not put a coat of veneer plaster over the texture?

That's a great idea. I wonder how well it would adhere to the old finish. I
had a textured wall once that I wanted smooth. I soaked the wall and scraped
it off. It was pretty easy to do but it would probably depend on the
material used. Did the same with a ceiling once.

Andy Hill

"JackRabbit" wrote:
I am remodeling the basement. Its a new house. When the builders did the
basement, they put blueboard on both sides of the stairs running all the way
down to the basement floor. Instead of making the walls smooth with veneer
plaster, they put the same texture on the walls as they did on the ceiling.

I really want smooth walls. I think you probably know what I am going to
write next. What should I do ?? I was thinking I should tear it all out
and replace it -or- figure out a way to get rid of the texture. I can't put
a layer of wallboard on top of it because that won't leave me enough room to
install a skirtboard when I finish off the stairs.

Skim coat over the texture.

Greg O

"JackRabbit" wrote in message
I am remodeling the basement. Its a new house. When the builders did the
basement, they put blueboard on both sides of the stairs running all the
way
down to the basement floor. Instead of making the walls smooth with
veneer
plaster, they put the same texture on the walls as they did on the
ceiling.

I really want smooth walls. I think you probably know what I am going to
write next. What should I do ?? I was thinking I should tear it all out
and replace it -or- figure out a way to get rid of the texture. I can't
put
a layer of wallboard on top of it because that won't leave me enough room
install a skirtboard when I finish off the stairs.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Has the wall been painted? If not you can wet the wall down and the texture
will soften and scrape of easily. If painted it probably would be easier to
skim coat the walls.
Greg

BP

If the wall has been painted you need to use a binder before skimcoat, more
so as the paint is glossier. They make a special one sold at drywall supply
houses, but I've just used a high grade latex primer with good results.

basement stairs Rick Home Ownership 3 September 27th 04 08:07 PM
Mudroom in basement - need your suggestion FGreen Home Repair 5 July 6th 04 10:40 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Doug Swetland Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 06:09 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Brad Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 05:51 PM
Floor choice for walkout basement? FC Home Ownership 0 July 1st 03 03:28 PM