JackRabbit

Default Basement stairs

I am remodeling the basement. Its a new house. When the builders did the
basement, they put blueboard on both sides of the stairs running all the way
down to the basement floor. Instead of making the walls smooth with veneer
plaster, they put the same texture on the walls as they did on the ceiling.

I really want smooth walls. I think you probably know what I am going to
write next. What should I do ?? I was thinking I should tear it all out
and replace it -or- figure out a way to get rid of the texture. I can't put
a layer of wallboard on top of it because that won't leave me enough room to
install a skirtboard when I finish off the stairs.

Thanks for your suggestions.