twfsa

Default Cutting fiberglass

I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about
..040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

Joseph Meehan

twfsa wrote:
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be
about .040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

I don't know if a saber saw would be my choice, especially since you
want a straight cut, but clamp a board onto that fiberglass panel and go to
it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

A circular saw

SQLit

"twfsa" wrote in message
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be

about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

Table saw, or skill saw both with a fine bladed saw blade.

Saber saw if it binds up you could rip the fiberglass. Boards and clamps
would help a lot.

Ross Mac

"twfsa" wrote in message
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

I would take Joe's advice and clamp a board for a straight cut and also use
a tungsten carbide router bit and a router, of course, to cut the material.
That's how circuit boards are cut so cleanly. I'll let you do the googling
for the tool bit....good luck, Ross

Kyle Boatright

Fiberglass cuts just fine with almost any saw. The big problem is that it
dulls the heck out of any blade almost immediately. Whether you use a
tablesaw, circular saw, or a saber saw whatever, don't use your expensive
blade...

Personally, I'd use the saber saw. The blades are cheap.

KB

"twfsa" wrote in message
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

Ross Mac

"twfsa" wrote in message
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be
about .040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

That's why you want to use tungsten carbide....fibergalss is very
abrasive...Ross

George E. Cawthon

twfsa wrote:
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

What ever you do, use put masking tape on both side so that
the cut is in the middle of the tape. I would use a board
as a guide, don't use pressure to smash it down, and cut it
with a Skil saw (use a fairly fine tooth blade). A sabre
saw isn't a good idea.
Harry K

George E. Cawthon wrote:
twfsa wrote:
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to

be about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff

is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

What ever you do, use put masking tape on both side so that
the cut is in the middle of the tape. I would use a board
as a guide, don't use pressure to smash it down, and cut it
with a Skil saw (use a fairly fine tooth blade). A sabre
saw isn't a good idea.

And wear a dust mask. I didn't and coughed for hours.

Harry K

MUADIB®

I have cut the stuff you are likely speaking of. I used a utility
knife and scored it from the back side and snapped it in two.
Cuts really similarly to ABS sheet.
YMMV

I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

Thanks

Tom

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

Andy Hill

"twfsa" wrote:
I am going to install sheets of fiber glass paneling 4X8, looks to be about
.040 thick, the big box store said to use a saw to cut it.

I may need to cut the entire lenth 4ft, I want straight cuts.

Would a fine thooth saber saw blade be the way to go, as the stuff is
pretty flimsy.

You'd have to better with a saber saw than moi to do a straight cut with a saber
saw.

I usually cut FRP (which I assume is what you're talking about) using a table
saw with a backwards plywood blade. The real key is *support* -- as you say,
that stuff is floppy, and wants to go anywhere but straight. BTW -- be sure to
cut outside -- you'll spew fine dust everywhere, and that crap can't be good for
your lungs.

cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
welding, cutting jim Metalworking 5 January 31st 04 02:31 AM
why greek "pi" exists in cutting speed calculation? natarajan ayyavu Metalworking 12 November 30th 03 03:08 PM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM