William W. Plummer

Default Appliance repair parts availability

The local appliance store told me that repair/replacement parts are only
made for 8 years after a new model is introduced. He said it is an
industry-wide standard. Can anyone affirm that?
Main Man

I've heard that too; never the less some dealers will still have parts
after this.
As prices fall of new elec goods I guess this period will diminsih if
at all!

David Martel

William,

I have no trouble finding parts for a 25 yr. old stove so this seems
unlikely. I think a better question would be whether parts are available
after a model is discontinued rather than after a model is introduced.

Dave M.

There is more to it than just whenever that particular model is
discontinued. Just like if they discontinue making your car but still
use the same brake master cylidner in a current car, so on that
particular part you would get the standard 8 years (or whatever) beyond
the other models use that same part also.

Percival P. Cassidy

More than 20 years ago, I heard that Panasonic would not sell parts for
their electronic products for longer than 10 years.

Perce

On 02/11/05 12:31 pm William W. Plummer tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The local appliance store told me that repair/replacement parts are only
made for 8 years after a new model is introduced. He said it is an
industry-wide standard. Can anyone affirm that?

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:31:01 -0500, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

The local appliance store told me that repair/replacement parts are only
made for 8 years after a new model is introduced. He said it is an
industry-wide standard. Can anyone affirm that?

Manufacturers are only required to supply parts for eight years,
but if there is a buck to be made the manufacturer or other suppliers
will continue to supply these parts.

SteveB

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
The local appliance store told me that repair/replacement parts are only
made for 8 years after a new model is introduced. He said it is an
industry-wide standard. Can anyone affirm that?

Here, in Las Vegas, we have a dealer that sells repair parts. They
apparently save stuff for a long time. I have gone there a couple of times.
It is like a cross between The Twilight Zone and your Grandpa's shed.

A short guy sees what you want. He then disappears into aisles and aisles
of dusty parts. He comes back with a dust covered thingus in a plastic
pouch. He blows the dust off.

You pay and leave.

Sometimes, if you have an old supplier, they just let the stuff sit there
until someone buys it. And they mark if up about 20% per year so by the
time someone buys it, it costs 3x what it cost originally.

I needed a couple of handle ends for my oven. They wanted about fifty bucks
for some cheesy parts. I made due nicely with some JB weld, a sheet metal
brace, and a couple of screws. Sometimes you can do that, and sometimes you
get lucky and they have the old parts.

STeve

Matt

Well, Hello Mr. Fancy Pants! JB Weld, sheet metal and some screws!
What the hell is wrong with duct tape? I suppose you are too good for
duct tape?!!!?!?!?

Ross Mac

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe it's time for a new appliance!....We have a biz here in Florida called
Appliance Direct that almost gives the stuff away.....Ross

Choose the right model and you'll find the parts spanning 50 years.
There are exceptions (finding a timer for a washing machine or a clock
for an oven will always be a single-source thing) but if you can choose
an appliance that uses "generic" knobs, burners, belts, whatever normal
maintenance items are then you won't have a big problem.

Tim.

Gideon

Manufacturers are only required to supply parts for eight years.

I've heard this many times - 8 years or 10 years or 15 years.
But I've never been able to find any government regulation that
substantiates this general belief.

if there is a buck to be made the manufacturer or other suppliers
will continue to supply these parts.

Absolutely. If I own stock in a corporation which manufacturers
parts for any consumer products, then I'd expect them to continue
to make parts for a particular model for as long as it is profitable
and, obviously, no longer than that. Of course, the implicit monetary
value of customer goodwill must also be considered, especially for
the original manufacturer of that model.

Matt

Gidget, you are an incredible piece of work.

Kathy

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, Hello Mr. Fancy Pants! JB Weld, sheet metal and some screws!
What the hell is wrong with duct tape? I suppose you are too good for
duct tape?!!!?!?!?

You *know* duct tape woud be last resort, along with some bailing wire.