Ikon

Default How to determine laminate quality

I interviewed a handyman to install laminate floors and staircase. If
he brings his own materials, how can I determine if the laminate is
tough enough for the staircase ? The label on tiles indicate only their
number and color, but not the manufacturer. He says it is EPI, but how
can I make sure ? And there are so many types of EPI laminate anyway...

Art

You need to go to a showroom, see what is available and price what a pro
charges to install it. It needs to be put in correctly. A homeowner doing
it carefully following instructions or a pro but doubtful that you want a
handyman. Go with the snap together stuff in any case. Check out
Mannington brand..... has held up well for us so far in kitchen and even a
bathroom.

"Ikon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I interviewed a handyman to install laminate floors and staircase. If
he brings his own materials, how can I determine if the laminate is
tough enough for the staircase ? The label on tiles indicate only their
number and color, but not the manufacturer. He says it is EPI, but how
can I make sure ? And there are so many types of EPI laminate anyway...

Tom

Ya pays yer dollar, and ya takes yer chances? Tom
Work at your leisure!
m Ransley

Get the reciept , get proof, call the store or company. There are cheap
products out there.

Ikon

Thanks for all your kind replies. But is there a forum, or a website
where I could see customers' reviews for various laminates ?

Also I found that IKEA sells seme decently looking laminates, but they
provide very little information - for example, they do not even
indicate how long it will be under warranty.

Art

If you visit www.google.com and go to the groups page you can search these
posts for the word laminate. Also Consumer Reports rated them a couple of
years ago. Definitely go with the snap together kind. Some only snap once
or twice and then have to be discarded so those have a disadvantage. Some
have riduculous fine print in the warranties. After evaluating those 2
factors I went with Mannington. Pergo used to have horrible service but I
believe that is no longer true. Don't be deceived by a lifetime warranty.
Read the fine print.

ups.com...