Default How do I clean this chimney?

Hi I'm completely new to chimneys, and my new house has one. Its a
brick structure in the middle of the house, starts in the basement,
which has a wood fire, up through the 1st floor (another wood
fireplace) and through the second floor and roof.

Now, how do I clean the living room's flu? If I push a brush down from
the roof, there is no direct line to the living room fireplace (it has
a bend), so I'm just not sure where it would all go? I didn't notice an
ash door in the basement, but I guess I may have missed it.

Thanks for any insight,

*Dean

Matt

Dean,

You have a new house.

Would be a shame to die falling off the roof trying to learn how to do
something you have no experience at.

Call a chimney sweep; watch him, and next time, if you feel like it -
DIY.

m Ransley

Call a pro, they do a clean job you dont want to learn on or fall. You
do it and it will be a mess.

toller

I have two fireplaces on opposite sides of the chimney. They have separate
flues. You just have one flue?

William Deans

Greetings,

I am very sorry to hear that you want to know how to clean your chimney and
people just tell you that you're too stupid and you'll break your neck.
Please don't listen to these guys. You will need to clean your chimney
every year and the price adds up. It will also take you longer to hire
someone and wait around for them than to do it yourself after you have a
couple years worth of experience.

Unfortunately your chimney description is not enough for us to have a full
understanding of your chimney's construction. I will tell you that I own a
number of houses with a bend in the chimney. When the bend is substantial
there is usually an access door of some kind near the bend. In one instance
I had to remove bricks to create an access door. Sometimes the access door
exists but has been concealed. If you don't have an access door look double
hard to figure out why you don't need one before removing bricks.

Hope this helps,
William

PS: Some people swear you can just burn a chimney cleaning log (in each
fireplace).

oups.com...

On 3 Feb 2005 10:44:25 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Dean,

You have a new house.

Would be a shame to die falling off the roof trying to learn how to do
something you have no experience at.

Call a chimney sweep; watch him, and next time, if you feel like it -
DIY.

Ah to add a little to your good information, watch him, but only so
you know he's doing the work. Then everytime you need a cleaning,
call him back. What is a $90 job/year verses getting laid up in the
hospital.

Just saying........

later,

tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com

Chimney / Fireplace Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 04 04:36 PM
Fireplace / Chimney Question [email protected] Home Ownership 15 December 22nd 04 02:12 PM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Chimney cap question Susan Home Repair 8 July 29th 03 08:20 PM