Pete Fraser

Default Compact GFI outlets?

My 1932 house has narrow outlet boxes (about 1.75" inside width).
I want to replace some 2-pronged outlets with GFI outlets,
but the ones I've seen are too wide.

Does anybody make a compact GFI for this purpose?

Thanks

Travis Jordan

Pete Fraser wrote:
My 1932 house has narrow outlet boxes (about 1.75" inside width).
I want to replace some 2-pronged outlets with GFI outlets,
but the ones I've seen are too wide.

Install a GFI breaker on the circuit(s).

Matt

Is it original wiring? (K&T?)

Only reason I ask is if it is K&T, I'm wondering how well a GFI would
deal with the neutral, seing as how one neutral typically served many
loads. Maybe wouldn't make a difference. Tom Horne, where are you?

Your options are as Travis listed (unless again, it's original wiring,
and you have a fusebox and therefore no breaker to replace); or to cut
out some plaster and install a larger box.

I think we need to know more about what state your wiring is in before
any other options can be offered.

Matt

I'd tread carefully here. Going under the assumption that you have
original wiring, putting in a GFI may cause you more problems then it's
worth.

Recc. you find a message where Tom Horne has posted in (he knows his
****), and send him an email.

Pete Fraser

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it original wiring? (K&T?)

Yes

Only reason I ask is if it is K&T, I'm wondering how well a GFI would
deal with the neutral, seing as how one neutral typically served many
loads. Maybe wouldn't make a difference.

I thought a GFI just measured the difference between
the line and neutral currents?

Tom Horne, where are you?

Your options are as Travis listed (unless again, it's original wiring,
and you have a fusebox and therefore no breaker to replace); or to cut
out some plaster and install a larger box.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut the (lath and) plaster.

I think we need to know more about what state your wiring is in before
any other options can be offered.

Old and funky (k+t).

Thanks

Pete Fraser

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
Look carefully at the boxes, or at least the openings and be sure its not
just plaster or tile making them appear smaller.

No.
They're metal boxes with an inside size of about
1.75 W x 2.875 H.

RBM

With all that you've said, you probably have a balloon frame house as well,
so I think I'd just run new lines to the bathrooms and install new outlets

"Pete Fraser" wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it original wiring? (K&T?)

Yes

Only reason I ask is if it is K&T, I'm wondering how well a GFI would
deal with the neutral, seing as how one neutral typically served many
loads. Maybe wouldn't make a difference.

I thought a GFI just measured the difference between
the line and neutral currents?

Tom Horne, where are you?

Your options are as Travis listed (unless again, it's original wiring,
and you have a fusebox and therefore no breaker to replace); or to cut
out some plaster and install a larger box.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut the (lath and) plaster.

I think we need to know more about what state your wiring is in before
any other options can be offered.

Old and funky (k+t).

Thanks

I'm suprized that you could get insurance with that kind of wiring.

On 1 Feb 2005 15:26:50 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

I'd tread carefully here. Going under the assumption that you have
original wiring, putting in a GFI may cause you more problems then it's
worth.

Very good point. You might be making it clear that you can't answer
this problem clear enough without actually seeing the setup.

Here is an example I was told about not in black and white how to
replace an ungrounded receptacle with a gfci. The code requires it
marked on the new receptacle(gfci) that no equipment ground. Some
inpectors refused to accept those stickers, or writing anywhere on/or
around the receptacle as perminant enough markings. Therefore you can
never meet the requirement, forcing you to have to fun a ground, or a
new grounded circuit.

Just a point that they might need professional electrical help,

Recc. you find a message where Tom Horne has posted in (he knows his
****), and send him an email.

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Tekkie

Ron posted for all of us....

GFCI wouldn't work in a non-grounded system. Forget it. Is this a troll?
Ron

Why not? What are you, a troll?

--
Tekkie