Martik

Default Heat load analysis software accuracy

This may be too technical for alt.home.repair so I'm posting he

Natural Resources Canada uses the following program to calculate rebates for
energy efficient home upgrades.

Download from:
http://www.buildingsgroup.nrcan.gc.c.../hot2xp_e.html

According to the technical report from this software, a one-story house with
a full basement 43' x 43' exterior dimensions with a floor area of 1600sqft
on the main + another 1600sqft in the bsmt results in the following heat
loss values at 19F on the north west coast.

Base values:
==========
Orientation: west
Window distribution: even, 15%, metal, single
Cathedral roof: R12 attic
Main floor walls: R12 on 2x4 wood
Basement walls: no insulation, mostly below grade
ACH @50kpa: 10.35 (ACH = air changes/hour)

Heat loss = 57k (seems low to me as most HVAC contractor recommend 80k or
more)

Upgrades: (cummulative):

HL
49k; Low-e, double pane, vinyl windows
37k; Add R20 to bsmt walls
32k; Upgrade attic to R40
28k; Reduce ACH to 4.5

It gets even better, annual fuel consumption is reduced from 215 million btu
to a mere 81, almost 2/3's. Can anyone here verify these calculations with
empirical evidence?

Matt

'This may be too technical for alt.home.repair so I'm posting=AD here'

Um, son, this may be too technical for you, but this IS is
alt.home.repair

Travis Jordan

Matt wrote:
'This may be too technical for alt.home.repair so I'm posting* here'

Um, son, this may be too technical for you, but this IS is
alt.home.repair

And it wouln't be a good idea at all to post it where I think he was
going to post it.....

Abby Normal

Martik wrote:
[...]

The most common furnace sizes I sold in Canada were 60 and 75 MBH.

Upgrades: (cummulative):

HL
49k; Low-e, double pane, vinyl windows
37k; Add R20 to bsmt walls
32k; Upgrade attic to R40
28k; Reduce ACH to 4.5

It gets even better, annual fuel consumption is reduced from 215

million btu
to a mere 81, almost 2/3's. Can anyone here verify these calculations

with
empirical evidence?

Gary Dyrkacz

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:57:34 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Matt wrote:
'This may be too technical for alt.home.repair so I'm posting* here'

Um, son, this may be too technical for you, but this IS is
alt.home.repair

And it wouln't be a good idea at all to post it where I think he was
going to post it.....

You mean my courses in differential calculus and tensor analysis
aren't good enough for alt.home.repair? Wow. This is a select crowd.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/

Martik wrote:

This may be too technical for alt.home.repair so I'm posting he

In alt.home.repair?

Natural Resources Canada uses the following program to calculate rebates...

ACH @50kpa: 10.35 (ACH = air changes/hour)

Boom. Haven't we seen this before?

Nick

Martik

wrote:

Matt wrote:
'This may be too technical for alt.home.repair so I'm posting* here'

Um, son, this may be too technical for you, but this IS is
alt.home.repair

And it wouln't be a good idea at all to post it where I think he was
going to post it.....

You mean my courses in differential calculus and tensor analysis
aren't good enough for alt.home.repair? Wow. This is a select crowd.

Touchy bunch in here today So, I posted to the wrong group SORRY, I know
none of you EVER make a mistake. Now how about a helpful reply?

Heating and Cooling Load Analysis Dick Home Repair 13 January 29th 05 04:10 PM
DIY Heat Bank/Thermal Store system? (longish) Gordon Henderson UK diy 4 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM
Condensing boiler - odd installation mike.james UK diy 57 October 27th 03 08:19 PM