Adam

Default How thick should my backerboard be for a bathroom floor?

I'm tiling my bathroom floor, which is currently linoleum over plywood
(not particleboard). I have a bunch of 1/2" Wonderboard, but estimating
how high the tiles will end up, adjacent to the carpeted floor of the
hallway, I think the tiles will be much higher than the carpet. Would I
be OK using 1/4" backerboard?
I'll use thinset to attach the backerboard to the plywood, and will be
using 1" hex tiles. Any thoughts?
Adam

William Deans

Dear Sir,

What you haven't told us is the thickness of your plywood, joist spans, etc
to ensure that even 1/2" would be sufficient. That said, there is nothing
wrong with using 1/4" on floors. You also have very small tiles which will
help prevent tile cracking.

Hope this helps,
William

"Adam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm tiling my bathroom floor, which is currently linoleum over plywood
(not particleboard). I have a bunch of 1/2" Wonderboard, but estimating
how high the tiles will end up, adjacent to the carpeted floor of the
hallway, I think the tiles will be much higher than the carpet. Would I
be OK using 1/4" backerboard?
I'll use thinset to attach the backerboard to the plywood, and will be
using 1" hex tiles. Any thoughts?
Adam

Adam

Well, the plywood appears to be 1/2". I haven't pulled up the linoleum
yet, so I can't see the joist spans. Can you tell me what
considerations would force me to choose 1/2" backerboard?
Thanks!

William Deans

Greetings,

1/2" backerboard is normally used on walls. Your subfloor may not be thick
enough.

"
a.. Use minimum 5/8" exterior grade plywood or 23/32" exterior grade OSB,
complying with Local Building Codes and ANSI A108.11, over joists. Joists'
spacing not to exceed a maximum of 16" on center.

a.. Deflection must not exceed L/360 of the span, including live and dead
design loads.*

a.. Do not use glue between grooves of tongue-and-groove subfloor to allow
for expansion and contraction of subfloor.
"

Please read the following
http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboa...stallation.php
http://www.thetiledoctor.com/installations/floors.cfm

Hope this helps,
William

"Adam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, the plywood appears to be 1/2". I haven't pulled up the linoleum
yet, so I can't see the joist spans. Can you tell me what
considerations would force me to choose 1/2" backerboard?
Thanks!

Adam

I had just eyeballed the plywood, and now I have measured it to 5/8".
There is also a tongue-in-groove under the plywood, I believe.
So it sounds like 1/4" HardiBacker will be OK, rather than my 1/2"
Wonderboard, assuming all the other specs meet standards once I pull up
the linoleum.