Steve Wolfe

Default Remove haze from grout

Last week, I tiled a kitchen floor, and everything went wonderfully. Soon
after grouting, I removed the grout from the tile, and the tile looks
fabulous. But, the grout itself has a white haze/film on top of it. I've
been spraying it down a few times each day (as per the grout's
instructions), and it seems to be getting worse - so I imagine that it might
be "water-spots".

Any tips on removing this before I seal the grout? I've been thinking of
some dilute viengar in purified water, but wanted to see what others
recommend.

steve

OK, I'm no 'whiz' at tiling but I am in the process of doing my own
house.

What I remember from 'tiling class' (FREE at Home Depot stores) was
that I should use distilled water, as local water has something in it
that reacts poorly with the tiling process.

So far I have been well pleased with my results but DAMN I'M SLOW,
Lewis.

*****

LBaker

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message

Last week, I tiled a kitchen floor, and everything went wonderfully.

Soon
after grouting, I removed the grout from the tile, and the tile looks
fabulous. But, the grout itself has a white haze/film on top of it. I've
been spraying it down a few times each day (as per the grout's
instructions), and it seems to be getting worse - so I imagine that it

might
be "water-spots".

Any tips on removing this before I seal the grout? I've been thinking

of
some dilute viengar in purified water, but wanted to see what others
recommend.

steve

What you have is efflorescence. It is the soluble salts coming to the
surface of the grout. You need to let the grout cure and then clean with a
vinagar and water solution. If that doesn't work you can getsufamic acid at
one of the box stores.

Steve Wolfe

What you have is efflorescence. It is the soluble salts coming to the
surface of the grout. You need to let the grout cure and then clean with a
vinagar and water solution. If that doesn't work you can getsufamic acid

at
one of the box stores.

Thanks a million. It had cured for four days as of yesterday, I took some
straight vinegar and a plastic scrub brush to one tile, and while it didn't
completely get rid of it, it made it noticeably better. Now to scrub all of
the grout in the kitchen. : )

steve