Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
powerjenn

Default Asbestos in floor tiles of 50+ year old home - please advise ...

Hello,

We bought our home (built in 1950) a year and a half ago. This past
week, we were in the process of getting estimates for a ceramic tile
floor to replace our peeling vinyl tiles in our kitchen, bathroom, and
mudroom, when we discovered that beneath this vinyl floor, there exists
another floor. One of the tile stores that came out to estimate the job
explained that these were old 9x9 asphalt tiles and were secured by a
thick black gooey mastic. In the estimate provided, he quoted $350 to
remove the existing two layers of floor, including these old asphalt
tiles. After visiting several other tile stores in our quest for a new
floor, we were alarmed to be told that these old tiles & mastic are
almost certain to contain asbestos. We'll be contacting an inspector
tomorrow to get this tested.

We do not consider simply tiling over these existing floors to be an
option. For one thing, the condition of both the top vinyl floor as
well as the asphalt tiles are very poor and will not provide an
adequate foundation for a new subfloor and ceramic tiles. So, we'll
need to contact a qualified asbestos abatement company to remove the
old tiles. I was wondering if anyone reading this has had experience
with asbestos tile removal, and if they could offer any insight into
the cost of removal. The total square feet of the affected area is
about 250 feet.

Thank you,
Jennifer in New Hampshire

Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Annual HVAC Service contracts. tflfb Home Repair 7 December 30th 03 02:45 AM
OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM
Asbestos in the floor: Advice, please Timbrook99 UK diy 5 November 29th 03 01:39 PM
buying a home with a new garage and no permit -- need help fast please Mail Ias Home Repair 7 October 27th 03 12:28 AM