Daremo

Default Brick Facade

OK, I am looking at purchasing my first home, I see many brick facade
structures. What exactly is this? I can only imagine that it's similar to
paneling resembling wood, except in brick. Are there any advantages or
disadvantages to this?

Thanks in advance,

Daremo

In my opinion, the value of a "brick facade" depends on how it is used
and then on how well it is built.

If a house has brick on only part of its exterior, I think its
usefulness is much less than if brick is used for all the outside skin
of the building. Brick requires no painting and much less care than a
painted surface. It can be a better weather barrier than vinyl or
similar sidings. These values are lost when only part of the skin is
brick.

Brick, like any other exterior, must be carefully built - with flashing
and ties at the correct locations.

TB

Colbyt

"Daremo" wrote in message
OK, I am looking at purchasing my first home, I see many brick facade
structures. What exactly is this? I can only imagine that it's similar

paneling resembling wood, except in brick. Are there any advantages or
disadvantages to this?

Thanks in advance,

Daremo

I'm not sure where you are or what terms are used in your locality. Where
you are facade may be another way of saying veneer. Or it may mean
something entirely different.

Let me explain. There is "'all brick", "masonry construction", where the
dwelling is built of bricks and the interior is coated with plaster. Then
there is brick veneer; where the structure is framed and full sized brick is
applied in front of the framing on the exterior. This method is most common
in all of the US for the last 30-40 years.

Now you need to find out what "brick facade" means locally and then some or
all of us can answer your question.

Colbyt

Art

If you are talking about a brick or stone facade placed over old siding I
would be concerned that the old stuff is rotting underneath. If you are
talking about brick veneer which is wood framed construction with brick
outer wall, I would have it inspected to make sure flashing and weep holes
are right. Most are not. I will never again buy a brick home unless I
personnally knew and trusted the mason who bricked it up.