Default plastic junction box w/ pbx wires not grounded

I have an older home with a mix between romex and pbx wiring. I was
testing the outlets and found that there are 2 that are not grounded,
which are fed with pbx. I found the junction box in the light fixture
that they are connected to was replaced w/ a blue plastic box and there
is nothing that grounds the 4 pbx wires going into it together (source
feed, switch & 2 outlets)

My question is, should I attempt to solder a common ground wire between
each pbx wire, or replace the junction box? I'd rather not replace the
box, but I will if there are no other alternatives.
Are those plastic boxes made to support pbx wiring?

On 19 Jan 2005 05:30:19 -0800, "
wrote:

I have an older home with a mix between romex and pbx wiring. I was
testing the outlets and found that there are 2 that are not grounded,
which are fed with pbx. I found the junction box in the light fixture
that they are connected to was replaced w/ a blue plastic box and there
is nothing that grounds the 4 pbx wires going into it together (source
feed, switch & 2 outlets)

My question is, should I attempt to solder a common ground wire between
each pbx wire, or replace the junction box? I'd rather not replace the
box, but I will if there are no other alternatives.
Are those plastic boxes made to support pbx wiring?

IMHO:

Replace the box. I don't believe the code will allow for a grounding
path to be made up of soldered links.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

HorneTD

I have an older home with a mix between romex and pbx wiring. I was
testing the outlets and found that there are 2 that are not grounded,
which are fed with pbx. I found the junction box in the light fixture
that they are connected to was replaced w/ a blue plastic box and there
is nothing that grounds the 4 pbx wires going into it together (source
feed, switch & 2 outlets)

My question is, should I attempt to solder a common ground wire between
each pbx wire, or replace the junction box? I'd rather not replace the
box, but I will if there are no other alternatives.
Are those plastic boxes made to support pbx wiring?

Connections that depend on solder are not permitted in the Equipment
Grounding Conductor.

250.8 Connection of Grounding and Bonding Equipment.
Grounding conductors and bonding jumpers shall be connected by
exothermic welding, listed pressure connectors, listed clamps, or other
listed means. Connection devices or fittings that depend solely on
solder shall not be used. Sheet metal screws shall not be used to
connect grounding conductors to enclosures. Copyright 2002 National
Fire Protection Association.

If there is room in the box and the connectors that attach the cable to
the box are of the external type with threads that protrude into the box
and are held with a lock nut then you can apply half inch bonding
bushings or wedges to each connectors threads and run a bonding
conductor between the four connectors to reestablish the Equipment
Grounding Conductor's continuity.

314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes.
Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted only with open wiring on
insulators, concealed knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with
entirely nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.
Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all
entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal
raceways or metal-armored cables. Copyright 2002 National Fire
Protection Association.
--
Tom H

Thanks for the info. It looks as if the pbx cables are not secured to
the box at all ( i was able to pull some slack on one of them)

So if I were not to replace the box, I would have to clap a connector
to each cable and run a ground wire to each of them?

Thanks again
-Owen

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:06:29 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:31:17 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:48:53 -0600,
wrote:

On 19 Jan 2005 05:30:19 -0800, "
wrote:

I have an older home with a mix between romex and pbx wiring. I was
testing the outlets and found that there are 2 that are not grounded,
which are fed with pbx. I found the junction box in the light fixture
that they are connected to was replaced w/ a blue plastic box and there
is nothing that grounds the 4 pbx wires going into it together (source
feed, switch & 2 outlets)

My question is, should I attempt to solder a common ground wire between
each pbx wire, or replace the junction box? I'd rather not replace the
box, but I will if there are no other alternatives.
Are those plastic boxes made to support pbx wiring?

I hate those plastic boxes. Mostly because there is no way to ground
them. On the metal boxes there is a hole on the rear for a green
screw. They never put the holes on these plastic boxes, so I am stuck
with ungrounded boxes, I do not like that at all.

Curious, why the big concern about wanting to ground your boxes?

later,

tom @
www.URLBee.com

Electrical boxes have been grounded ever since safe grounding methods
went into use. Just when we finally had very safe electrical systems,
if the codes are followed, we are now going backwards. The purpose of
grounding electrical boxes is to protect the user from electricution.
Now, with these ungrounded plastic boxes, the user is once again in
danger of electricution from touching the box. Granted, the ground
terminal (green screw) on the outlet is connected to ground, but not
the box itself. I personally refuse to use these plastic boxes. Not
only are they dangerous to people, but are also a fire hazzard, since
they burn if an outlet fire starts, and actually add to the fire.. A
metal box provides some means to stop a fire before the fire gets to
flammable materials, and surely does not ADD to the fire.

I understand your choice in metal boxes over plastic is based on your
experience and option; so, nothing wrong there, but I too was skittish
about plastic boxes till I found they are rated for 2 hours, which
gives time for your evacuation, and extinghishing of it.

So, to weight, I use plastic when I can.

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

grounding electrical boxes is to protect the user from electricution.
Now, with these ungrounded plastic boxes, the user is once again in
danger of electricution from touching the box. Granted, the ground

It's REALLY hard to electrocute yourself by touching a plastic box.
Not quite impossible, but tough. I'd say that a grounded metal
box is probably more dangerous, as it provides electricity from
other sources with someplace to go.

Wires contacts with plastic sheets/insulations, bad? Basement DIY Home Repair 2 May 4th 04 08:29 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM
Radio Signal tool for tracing wires Tim Home Repair 7 November 1st 03 02:20 AM
wiring a three phase motor Karl Townsend Metalworking 4 October 25th 03 03:01 PM