DOUGLAS LOSTY

Default Home heating boiler - bacterial sludge

Around 10 years ago I installed a new Slant Fin oil fired boiler (L30) in a
converted gravity hot water system.
There must be over 50 gallons of standing water in the system due to the 3"
feed pipes going to the two pipe cast iron radiation. Due to the crawl
spaces involved, it's not feasable to repipe the system. The system has
worked well with the only apparent disadvantage being short circulator
cycling and very long burn times of around 30 minutes before all the water
is heated.

I recently had to pull the domestic coil due to a drastic drop off in hot
water output. Much to my surprise the coil wasn't internally "limed" but
instead was coated with an inch thick coating of loose black oily sludge,
probably bacterial in origin.
It washed off easily but I'm worried about the interior of the boiler being
coated so badly that its heat transfer is reduced.
Am I risking cracking of the cast iron due to poor heat transfer?

I've doubled the size of the expansion tanks and have virtually eliminated
popping the relief valve thereby also reducing makeup water and fresh
oxygen. Are there any chemicals that would loosen and allow me to flush out
the sludge?
Would there be any chemicals to stop it reforming? I'd hesitate using
anything extremely toxic due to the use of a domestic coil.

tnx,

Doug

David Efflandt

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:22:14 GMT, DOUGLAS LOSTY wrote:
Around 10 years ago I installed a new Slant Fin oil fired boiler (L30) in a
converted gravity hot water system.
There must be over 50 gallons of standing water in the system due to the 3"
feed pipes going to the two pipe cast iron radiation. Due to the crawl
spaces involved, it's not feasable to repipe the system. The system has
worked well with the only apparent disadvantage being short circulator
cycling and very long burn times of around 30 minutes before all the water
is heated.

I recently had to pull the domestic coil due to a drastic drop off in hot
water output. Much to my surprise the coil wasn't internally "limed" but
instead was coated with an inch thick coating of loose black oily sludge,
probably bacterial in origin.

Does it smell like swamp muck? Probably hard for anyone unfamiliar with
your undisclosed location to guess exactly (is home or city water source
well or surface water). Does your water have high manganese content?
David Efflandt

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:56:22 GMT, Doug wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:35:29 +0000 (UTC), (David
Efflandt) wrote:

[...]

It is well water with a high manganese content.
I didn't notice a strong odor.
During past testing, the well water didn't test as particularly hard
but it did show a slightly high manganese and sodium content.

If it was organic matter, I would expect it to smell gassy or swampy, but
would NOT expect that to grow in a heating system.

I don't know if manganese has an odor, but the lack of odor and knowledge
that your water contains manganese, could suggest that it may be
manganese. I worked for a well driller while in college and heard that
manganese could cause black staining of fixtures, but would not know how
to remove it.

Home Inspection Careers A-Pro Home Inspection Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 11:49 AM
Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM