Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Greg G

Default Abject Failure

I've been a homeowner for six years. In my short tenure as the lord
and second-in-command of my modest castle I have learned many skills.
I have bent EMT, sweated pipe, unclogged drains, put in kitchen
cabinets, run BX, telephone and CAT5 lines through my walls, made
plaster repairs, drilled through a foot of brick, installed AC
circuits and built a couple of simple custom woodworking projects. And
then some.

But...

I can't seem to get the hang of one seemingly simple skill: Caulking.
I see guys do it, a nice even bead, smoothed with a finger, beautiful.
When I do it it looks like some sort of kindergarten craft project
gone awry. I'm probably a little bit more inept with silicone than
with latex, but it's a subtle difference.

I used to think I was just using too much, which was true, but I still
make a lousy looking job of it with less. It WORKS, mind you, but
looks bad.

Tips?

Greg Guarino