Doug Kanter

"Greg G" wrote in message
I've been a homeowner for six years. In my short tenure as the lord
and second-in-command of my modest castle I have learned many skills.
I have bent EMT, sweated pipe, unclogged drains, put in kitchen
cabinets, run BX, telephone and CAT5 lines through my walls, made
plaster repairs, drilled through a foot of brick, installed AC
circuits and built a couple of simple custom woodworking projects. And
then some.

But...

I can't seem to get the hang of one seemingly simple skill: Caulking.
I see guys do it, a nice even bead, smoothed with a finger, beautiful.
When I do it it looks like some sort of kindergarten craft project
gone awry. I'm probably a little bit more inept with silicone than
with latex, but it's a subtle difference.

I used to think I was just using too much, which was true, but I still
make a lousy looking job of it with less. It WORKS, mind you, but
looks bad.

Tips?

Greg Guarino

Don't feel too bad. There are 12 step programs for those of us who can't get
the hang of it. I can't, either, nor could the people who owned this house
before me. There are places in the bathroom where it seems they shot the
caulking from across the room. :-)