Beachcomber

Default Concrete slab on garage floor really draws in the cold.

I'm sure that my house is constructed like many and the garage
concrete floor was poured at the same time and appears to be
physically connected to the driveway.

The problem is that the garage floor is ice cold during these winter
months. I don't expect to do much about it with this house.

But for the future, if I build a house with a garage and a driveway,
how can I avoid having a ice cold garage floor in the winter months.
How is an insulated slab constructed?

Beachcomber

Red Neckerson

"Beachcomber" wrote in message
.. .

I'm sure that my house is constructed like many and the garage
concrete floor was poured at the same time and appears to be
physically connected to the driveway.

The problem is that the garage floor is ice cold during these winter
months. I don't expect to do much about it with this house.

But for the future, if I build a house with a garage and a driveway,
how can I avoid having a ice cold garage floor in the winter months.
How is an insulated slab constructed?

You could put radiant heat in the floor (before you pour it) or just
"condition" the space like you would the rest of the house (vents for
heat/cool).

Joseph Meehan

Beachcomber wrote:
I'm sure that my house is constructed like many and the garage
concrete floor was poured at the same time and appears to be
physically connected to the driveway.

The problem is that the garage floor is ice cold during these winter
months. I don't expect to do much about it with this house.

But for the future, if I build a house with a garage and a driveway,
how can I avoid having a ice cold garage floor in the winter months.
How is an insulated slab constructed?

Beachcomber

It is not a matter of insulation. Even with great insulation that floor
will get cold. You need to add heat, and if you do that you would want to
insulate to keep from loosing the heat.

Why are you so concerned about the temperature of the garage floor. The
cars don't care.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hound Dog

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Beachcomber wrote:
[...]

His cars may not care about the temperature of the garage floor, but if his
house is like mine, the people in the bedroom above sure do.

Joseph Meehan

Beachcomber wrote:
[...]

In that case you insulate above the garage and below the bedroom.
Trying to insulate the floor of the garage, will be much less effective.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Garage slab slopes in Duke Home Repair 4 February 20th 04 04:05 AM
Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection) Andrew Welham UK diy 12 January 3rd 04 10:12 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Paint for concrete garage floor? al UK diy 4 August 4th 03 11:50 AM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM