Jeff

Default GE Dishwasher won't drain

Hi,

I'm at a loss in figuring out why my dishwasher (GE GSD5940D00SS) won't
drain. I have looked at the many resources available on the web and
have not found the problem. I know that all the hoses are unblocked
because if I apply 120vac to the drain pump, water pumps out just fine.
I think this also rules out the self clean valve and back flush
flapper valve, which I also examined and found no problem. The drain
solenoid also seems to be working because I can see it engage and
disengage through the cycle.

What does seem curious to me is that during the drain cycle, the main
motor runs for ~60 secs (nothing drains), then at the last second, the
drain pump turns on for ~1 sec. I watched the mechanical timer dial
while this was happening, and sure enough, the drain pump was only
activated for 1 sec at the end of the cycle. This doesn't seem right
to me, could someone confirm if this seems odd? If this is not being
activated correctly, does this seem like a failure in the circuit board
(which is probably very expensive to replace)?
Any other suggestions?

Jeff

Appliance Repair Aid

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Thats normally not the drain pump, it just drains out the water in the
rubber sump...the motor motor and pump assy with the drain solenoid
does the "official" drain outs.

the main
motor runs for ~60 secs (nothing drains), then at the last second,

the
drain pump turns on for ~1 sec.

The aux pump only comes for few a brief time to drain out the rubber
sump.

See if the drain solenoid is working or not. Intermittant problems with
the self clean valve and back flush flapper valve are common and with
the drain hose end collapsing.

http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/gedishdrain.html
Some helps...hopefully

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

p.s. Great name!!

Bosch dishwasher SHU 3300 cycle not advancing past initial drain repair story mcquarrie Home Repair 1 June 16th 04 11:14 PM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Dishwasher will not drain Mr Harry UK diy 1 December 11th 03 09:02 AM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Repair 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Ownership 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM