Brooklin

Default Improving house heating

I'm trying to get more heat and cooling to the second floor in our
house.

We have a few sections of flexible, metalized (but not metal) ribbed
tubing in the basement that connect the furnace to the ducts going
upstairs. This is probably slowing down a lot of the airflow. I'm
guessing they used it where they had to go up and around beams and
tight corners.

Should I:
- leave it
- replace it with same sized galvanized ducting (5" I think) It would
be a slightly longer distance because of the limitations of the
pieces.
- find a flexible ducting material that's smooth on the inside to
reduce friction

Thanks in Advance

Joseph Meehan

Brooklin wrote:
I'm trying to get more heat and cooling to the second floor in our
house.

We have a few sections of flexible, metalized (but not metal) ribbed
tubing in the basement that connect the furnace to the ducts going
upstairs. This is probably slowing down a lot of the airflow. I'm
guessing they used it where they had to go up and around beams and
tight corners.

Should I:
- leave it
- replace it with same sized galvanized ducting (5" I think) It would
be a slightly longer distance because of the limitations of the
pieces.
- find a flexible ducting material that's smooth on the inside to
reduce friction

Thanks in Advance

You need to start by doing or have done a Manual D calculation. This
will help you figure out what is really wrong without guessing. Normally
this would be done by a contractor.

While I suspect you are on the right track, you may find that you do a
lot of work only to end up with minimal improvement.

I have two problems with my current system, and I have just lived with
it as it is not too bad. Come time for a new system, I will find someone
who will do all the right planning and improve my system at that time. I
will also look into a zoned system.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Darrell

Good advice from Joseph, load calculation is first step. I'm a huge fan
of variable speed furnaces. They reduce your electricity consumption
and if matched to your home with proper calcuations will push air longer
which may help in reaching the second floor. You can buy them in both
80% effecient models and deluxe 90+% models which will save on gas
consumption too.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by
the tail and face the situation. -- WCF
http://www.utahhousevalues.com
Doug Boulter

Brooklin wrote on 16 Jan 2005:

We have a few sections of flexible, metalized (but not metal)
ribbed tubing in the basement that connect the furnace to the
ducts going upstairs. This is probably slowing down a lot of
the airflow.

As the others have said, you really need a Manual D calculation,
with calculations for each run of duct. However. . .

My sense is that your ribbed duct isn't likely to be the major
source of the problem. While it will slow the airflow some, at
least it won't leak unless punctured. Metal rectangular duct, if
not properly sealed, which it wasn't until recently, will leak like
crazy, especially at every turn.

There are a ton of other factors that come into play, such as the
location of the thermostat - on the first floor, I'm guessing,
which would explain the lack of cooling in the summer on the second
floor.

I'd start with a consultation with a quality HVAC contractor who
can suggest various ways to fix the problems that are bothering
you.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Mayhem! Horror stories of house building and buying Ablang Home Ownership 2 November 3rd 03 06:56 PM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM
may have sold our house (St. Joseph played a role) rosie readandpost Home Ownership 5 July 31st 03 07:50 PM