Joseph Meehan

Brooklin wrote:
I'm trying to get more heat and cooling to the second floor in our
house.

We have a few sections of flexible, metalized (but not metal) ribbed
tubing in the basement that connect the furnace to the ducts going
upstairs. This is probably slowing down a lot of the airflow. I'm
guessing they used it where they had to go up and around beams and
tight corners.

Should I:
- leave it
- replace it with same sized galvanized ducting (5" I think) It would
be a slightly longer distance because of the limitations of the
pieces.
- find a flexible ducting material that's smooth on the inside to
reduce friction

Thanks in Advance

You need to start by doing or have done a Manual D calculation. This
will help you figure out what is really wrong without guessing. Normally
this would be done by a contractor.

While I suspect you are on the right track, you may find that you do a
lot of work only to end up with minimal improvement.

I have two problems with my current system, and I have just lived with
it as it is not too bad. Come time for a new system, I will find someone
who will do all the right planning and improve my system at that time. I
will also look into a zoned system.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math