Rural technologist

Default hvac q: peerless vs. weil mcclean and quote check.

I've got an hvac job to change over my heatpump forced air heat to natural
gas hydronic forced air for a 3800 sq ft home, we are also doing indirect
domestic water via an extra zone.

I need opinions between:

peerless pinnace PI-199 (183MBH, 92%)
weil mcclean ultra 155 or 230 (139/207MBH), 92%
munchkin 199M (183MBH), 92%

all seem to be the top-of-line, modulating boilers.

I plan to live in the home for at least 15 years if not forever. I'm looking
for a quality
unit, easy to service by pros, not too proprietary etc... If they are all
practically the
same, i'd go for the lowest of them.

I've heard weil mcclean had a leaking onto circuit board problem that has
since been
fixed.

The other question is a sanity check on the quote.

new boiler, indirect tank, new coils for attic and basement air handlers,
all plumbing,
ducts, pressure tanks to buffer against town water (code requirement),
moving
2 a/c compressors to an alternate spot way from a window. 13K$.

I did not post in alt.hvac, but i hope that maybe some of the pros there can
help
me decide which boiler is my best bet for low hassle.
thanks alot in advance.
pete

Red Neckerson

"Rural technologist" wrote in message

[...]

All can say is make sure you get at LEAST 3 quotes (not estimates!) and go
from there. Ask your friends and neighbors who they would use.

HeatMan

I have to agree with Red and have to add one additional statement.

High efficiency boilers like the ones you're talking about need to be piped
like the installation manual says. Don't fall for the "We've always done it
that way" line of garbage. If the installer follows the directions in the
manual, the system will work correctly.....

BTW, has anyone done a heat loss on the house, an actual measuring the house
and windows heat loss? Or did the guess? Ask to see the heat loss....