Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
SQLit

Default Pix for HorneTD: was DIY Transfer Switch

"Ignoramus1946" wrote in message
HorneTD asked for pictures of my service entrance equipment to give
him a better idea of what is involved in installing a transfer
switch. The pictures have an explanation where the generator will go
(see ServiceEntrance), and the link to the generator page. There are
also pictures of the inside and the main panel.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/TransferSwitch/

The question of the day is, what method would be best. I can install:

The best method is the one you decide on.
My suggestion is that what ever you decide on you make it as pleasing as
easy on the eye as posible looking toward selling your home.

Is your generator capable of powering the whole home? If not then why are
you considering powering the whole panel?
1. outdoor stuff costs more, but might be easier to install.
2. do you have the room for this
Both of these will require the meter to be pulled. Which around here means a
permit and inspections.
3. I would not, you already have a panel installed.
4. depends on cost and space needed.
5. might consider this, no permit needed, all work inside service rated
equipment not needed

1) outdoor WH transfer switch between the meter and the main panel
2) indoor WH transfer switch between the meter and the main panel
3) Replace existing panel with the panel with built-in transfer switch
such as http://www.nooutage.com/ttv2005c.htm
4) buy a main switch lockout and use that to feed the house from the
generator. It is probably not legal, but very cheap. I would rather
do better than that.
5) Buy a pre-wired manual transfer switch
6) Make a subpanel with a transfer switch between main panel and subpanel.

I would like to know what method is best. I am willing to spend money,
but I want to get the best bang for the buck. Also I would like to
pick a relatively easy route that can be done DIY.

Pictures of the generator are at

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/