TURTLE

wrote in message
"TURTLE" writes:
wrote in message
Thgis is Turtle.

Boy Cott , you must not know how to deal with mail order tool companys. Here
is
how you go at it.

1) Call them back Harbor Freight and get a tracking number from the UPS
company and check the details of the delivery. If it has been already
delivered
and you did not get it for what ever reason.
1A) call Harbor freight back and cancel all order as of now. 1B) Then Call
your
Credit card company and 1C) have all charges made payiable to harbor freight
cancelled. 1D) Then order the needed tool from another company or call,
Harbor
Freight back and completely make another order for the needed tools but make
sure the first order is totally cancelled or don't do any business with them
till the first order is cancelled completely.

Now Harbor freight should not have charged your credit card until the day the
tools was shipped. So you should have not paid for them yet on your credit
card
bill. If they have it already billed to you. you should object to paying it
till
the matter is solved.

Also when ordering tools from the cheapest supplier in the business don't
expect
Premium Service on problem like this.

TURTLE

I agree with you about how to get money back; however, I am not really
worried that I won't eventually get my money back or the parts
delivere; rather, I just want to fix the problem.

Other online places seem to make the extra effort to make their
customers whole. I am not asking them to lose money or take risks
here. Just asking them to send out another order in parallel with
their (slow) resolution process. If they are worried about fraud risk,
then I am happy to authorize them to charge my credit card if their
investigation proves otherwise.

They just don't seem to have any flexibility.

This is Turtle.

You pay a higher mark up on tools from other companys and this higher mark up
come better service. If you want a company with 110% quality of service don't
use the discount companys to buy tools from. When you say discount on prices
your saing your getting a discount on service that comes with it. Low Profit
margin , Discount company, Discount service, and low mark up price all go hand
and hand with each other. if you expect quality your going to have to remove
thje discount from the name of the company to get this.

Now you wanting to change a discount company's policy is right next to getting
pease on the earth without war or starving people. It will not happen !

TURTLE

Dave Hall

Oh come on!!! Lee Valley is a great vendor and provides great customer
service. But they charge a premium price for that. Harbor Freight is a
pretty crappy vendor who provides basic less than steller customer
service but charges low prices. Anybody doing business with Harbor
Freight expecting Lee Vally service is living in la-la land. Anyone
paying Lee Valley prices but getting Harbor Freight service is getting
ripped off. I think we all have a pretty good idea of what we are doing
when we buy stuff from Harbor Freight - getting cheap stuff at cheap
prices with bare bones service. I have to go now I am getting my Harbor
Freight order ready...

Dave Hall

Art

Notify your charge card company that the goods have not shown up and ask for
a charge back. That will get Harbor Freights attention.

wrote in message
I made the mistake of placing a $300+ order with Harbor Freight just
before the Holidays.

Items never arrived. I tried calling customer service but got repeated
busy signals.

Finally, today, I was told that item was delivered last week and left
on the "porch" -- the porch however is in clear open view to the
public and covered in snow.. (we live in northern New England)

Rather than take responsibility for it and attempt to quickly correct
the error, the customer service person offered the following non-solution:
- Wait another 8-10 business days for them to follow up with UPS
- Then, order again and wait another 10-14 days for item to be
reordered and redelivered (assuming of course that items are still
even in stock)

In all (at best) it will take more than 2 months for them to fulfill my
order.

The customner service droid and supervisor said that is the "policy"
and they were not open to any other solutions, even if I was willing
to back it up with my credit card.

They showed no empathy and refused to even admit that they or their
agent (UPS) may have done something wrong here (like leaving large
boxes of expensive metal tools out on an exposed porch in the snow)

I guess there is a reason for their cheap prices...

If you have had any similar negative customer service experiences with
Harbor Freight, please feel free to share them so that the next newbie
can be fully "cavet emptor" before purchasing.

I WOULD RECOMMEND AVOIDING HARBOR FREIGHT LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Art

UPS policy is to settle with the sender so it is Harbor Freight's problem to
fix.

"David" wrote in message
Sounds like a case of misplaced anger. I've never purchased from HF, but
by your own admission, UPS is responsible for your lost items; not HF.

David

wrote:
[...]

Dave Hall

I don't see Amazon or Dell (never bought anything from or even know
what Newegg might be) to be bottom feeder discounters like I percieve
Harbor Freight. In fact I seldom see Amazon being more that a percent
or two below local sellers and lots of folks significantly undersell
Dell. Therefore to me comparing the customer service levels of higher
priced sellers like Dell to low price sellers like HF is less than
valid.

B a r r y

Dave Hall wrote:
Oh come on!!! Lee Valley is a great vendor and provides great customer
service. But they charge a premium price for that. Harbor Freight is a
pretty crappy vendor who provides basic less than steller customer
service but charges low prices.

If HF wasn't making a decent profit, they wouldn't have lasted as long
as they have. Some HF items are probably throwaway on a wholesale
level. Major shippers have good access to the right local people at
their shipper. They can choose to insure the package for extremely low
costs, but often choose to self insure.

I've also received stellar problem solving service from Tower Hobbies, a
deep discount, mail order supplier. We can toss Lee Valley out and
compare to tower, if you'd like. The one reship I needed from them was
$30 of balsa wood. Based on a $15 wholesale cost, the box, labor, and
the additional shipping charges, they probably lost money in an attempt
to keep me happy. But they did it.

At typical Chinese factory prices, HF probably runs at a HIGHER margin
than Lee Valley! My wife has actually gotten good service from a vendor
called "Oriental Trading Post" who sells crap that literally costs less
than a penny retail. G

Barry
Uncle

wrote
Well it did happen (as per both HF and UPS).

My only issue is with the strength of HF customer service not the legal
responsibility of who is at fault (obviously UPS). I am used to online
discounters in other areas (e.g., Amazon, Dell, Newegg) going beyond
strictly legal minimums to help their customers. The question is how
good a customer service experience is HF creating and whether the
deficiencies are worth it given the "discounted" pricing...

Obviously you must already have the tracking #, otherwise UPS couldn't tell
you anything. But, you didn't mention you have the tracking #, if you don't
have it, you are being misinformed. Since the package value was over the
initial $100 insurance provided by UPS on all packages, HF should have
insured it for the value. I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to
have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance.
Something just doesn't sound right about your experience.

George E. Cawthon

mp wrote:
They showed no empathy and refused to even admit that they or their
agent (UPS) may have done something wrong here (like leaving large
boxes of expensive metal tools out on an exposed porch in the snow)

If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit card,
call the credit card company and get them to do a chargeback. HF and UPS
can sort it out amongst themselves.

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order
the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you
ordered from! Been there, done that.
Mike Marlow

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
mp wrote:
They showed no empathy and refused to even admit that they or their
agent (UPS) may have done something wrong here (like leaving large
boxes of expensive metal tools out on an exposed porch in the snow)

If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit card,
call the credit card company and get them to do a chargeback. HF and

UPS
can sort it out amongst themselves.

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order
the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you
ordered from! Been there, done that.

Not with American Express.

--

-Mike-

mp

If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit card,
call the credit card company and get them to do a chargeback. HF and UPS
can sort it out amongst themselves.

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order the item. you
say yes. they say work it out with who you ordered from! Been there,
done that.

I've had to do two chargebacks in the last 18 months with Visa. I called and
reported that I had not received the order and that the vendor was either
unhelpful or uncommunicative. Visa faxed me a form that I signed and faxed
back, and the problem was taken care of. Easy and painless.

" If you didn't receive the items, and presumably you paid by credit
card,
call the credit card company and get them to do a chargeback. HF and

UPS
can sort it out amongst themselves.

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order
the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you
ordered from! Been there, done that."

If that was your exper with your credit card company, I'd get a new
one. I have a Citibank
Visa and they have been excellent in resolving disputes with vendors
for me both times when
I got them involved. In both cases, I got a full refund.

In this case, it's premature to get the credit card company involved,
as the vendor is not refusing
to fix it or not responding, just indicating that their half-assed
process takes a couple weeks to do it.

Brian Henderson

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:59:10 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order
the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you
ordered from! Been there, done that.

All you have to do is say they refuse to work with you and you can get
the amount charged back to your card. It's simple.
Bruce

I've placed at least a dozen orders with HF over the last couple of
years. The shipping has always been faster than promised and the
items have always arrived in perfect condition. There have been
a couple of occasions where the item ordered either broke or
wasn't as promised and one call to customer service took care of
the problem on both occasions. One time my money was refunded
and the other time a replacement item was on my porch within 3
days. On both occasions the problem was solved without me
having to return the items in question and the customer service
people were as friendly as could be. The items were fairly
inexpensive, (about 10 or less). There have been other times
where the description of the items on their website was vague so
I called to get more info. They were very helpful and got me the
info as professionally as Lee Valley or any of the "High end" stores
have done for me. Try getting *that* from Amazon. Do they
even have a phone number to call? No business is going to be
perfect all the time and I've found the HF's mail order service is
just as friendly as they are at the local HF store in my town.
It's hard to believe that someone would get this worked up over
HF when the problem most likely was with UPS. It's not like HF
has refused to help. I'm sure they're very busy this time of year
and following up with UPS to make sure you're not trying to rip
them off takes time. I'm not saying you're a crook, but they do
have to take steps to keep from getting ripped off. Good luck.

Bruce

"Dave Hall" writes:
I don't see Amazon or Dell (never bought anything from or even know
what Newegg might be) to be bottom feeder discounters like I percieve
Harbor Freight. In fact I seldom see Amazon being more that a percent
or two below local sellers and lots of folks significantly undersell
Dell. Therefore to me comparing the customer service levels of higher
priced sellers like Dell to low price sellers like HF is less than
valid.

Newegg is a low price computer & consumer electronics vendor with a
stellar reputation for customer service.

I regularly find that sale prices at Amazon and Dell are the same or
better than the lowest priced (non-gray market) competitor. For Dell,
there are 10-25% off sales nearly every day.
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Yeah that'll work. First thing they ask is did you order
the item. you say yes. they say work it out with who you
ordered from! Been there, done that.

All you have to do is say they refuse to work with you and you can get
the amount charged back to your card. It's simple.

Nope. They didn't refuse. They were very cooperative just
incompetent about returning all the money. Three packages,
money for one was returned in two weeks, the rest dribbled.
Do you suppose that it was because they were Dell?
mp

All you have to do is say they refuse to work with you and you can get
the amount charged back to your card. It's simple.

Nope. They didn't refuse. They were very cooperative just incompetent
about returning all the money. Three packages, money for one was returned
in two weeks, the rest dribbled. Do you suppose that it was because they
were Dell?

I believe he was referring to the credit card company, not the vendor.

George E. Cawthon

mp wrote:
All you have to do is say they refuse to work with you and you can get
the amount charged back to your card. It's simple.

Nope. They didn't refuse. They were very cooperative just incompetent
about returning all the money. Three packages, money for one was returned
in two weeks, the rest dribbled. Do you suppose that it was because they
were Dell?

I believe he was referring to the credit card company, not the vendor.

He meant for me to tell the credit card company that the
vendor (Dell)refused to cooperate and the credit card
company would credit the amount. Nothing about that is
true! In the first place Dell was cooperating, just very
slow, and in the second place the credit card company
wouldn't get involved until I had exhausted all effort with
the vendor. So, I had a large charge on my card and was
told that I didn't have to pay it until the issue was
resolved (even says that in the fine print), but I didn't
believe that so I paid it. Later I found out that if I had
not payed it, I would have been charged late fees and
interest even if Dell did give me credit. Over a 4 month
period that would have amounted to a considerable amout
(especially since late fee charges are about $25 each month)
plus the interest rate would go up because of the late fee,
etc., etc. Resolution and getting you money back is not
always a simple matter.
Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

... So, I had a large charge on my card and was
told that I didn't have to pay it until the issue was
resolved (even says that in the fine print), but I didn't
believe that so I paid it. Later I found out that if I had
not payed it, I would have been charged late fees and
interest even if Dell did give me credit. ....

If you make a formal complaint to contest the charge, there are no fees
or interest on that portion of the charges.
Brian Henderson

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:14:06 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Nope. They didn't refuse. They were very cooperative just
incompetent about returning all the money. Three packages,
money for one was returned in two weeks, the rest dribbled.
Do you suppose that it was because they were Dell?

Actually, I was talking about Harbor Freight, not Dell. The original
poster said that HF refused to help, hence my suggestion to go back to
the CC company.

Assuming that the actual company does offer to reimburse you, then
complaining to the CC company isn't the way to go.

George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

... So, I had a large charge on my card and was
told that I didn't have to pay it until the issue was
resolved (even says that in the fine print), but I didn't
believe that so I paid it. Later I found out that if I had
not payed it, I would have been charged late fees and
interest even if Dell did give me credit. ....

If you make a formal complaint to contest the charge, there are no fees
or interest on that portion of the charges.

Wanta bet? That's the way it is supposed to be, but if you
pay off all but the contested charge, they will charge
interest on the contested charge, and then the next month
when you don't pay it, they will charge a late fee and
interest, etc. You should get it back, but in the mean time
your credit rating goes down and the interest rate
increases. And you may not get it back and sure as hell the
credit rating and the interest rate won't change back. In
my case, one of the personnel flatly told me that I would
not get the interest and the late charges reversed.

But enough of this, that's my story. Others may have had
better responses from their credit card company. I no
longer trust a credit card. I use to also trust the legal
system until I sat in a traffic court (and other small legal
wrangles) for several hours on different days. What I saw
of the various judges, lying to and misleading defendants
about what they (the judge) might do, ruined whatever faith
I ever had in the courts. And of course the county public
defenders, were no help at all to the defendant. BTW, I'm
talking about cases where the defendant may have done
something illegal but very minor and was no threat to anyone
except maybe some policeman(woman)'s macho image. Oh, well,
better leave that one alone.

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:27:23 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

So? If you have a disputed charge -- pay the full amount to the CC
company, the amount is still in dispute and should you prevail, you will
have a credit. If the adjudication crosses billing periods, you will not
have to worry about interest or late charges, and if your case is refused,
you won't have late charges or interest added to your account as you would
if you had not paid the amount.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

[...]

Right that is what I did. The only problem is when you need
an item right away, you pay for the one in dispute and buy
another. In my case that meant making a check out twice for
about $2,000. I had the money so it wasn't a big problem
that I didn't get all of my original $2000 back for 3
months. For someone on tight finances it could be difficult.
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:32:37 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

.... snip

[...]

Agreed. The only plus side is that this means of payment at least
provides a mechanism for getting one's money back. Paying by check or
other means to such a company and you've got nothing.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

B a r r y

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Wanta bet? That's the way it is supposed to be, but if you pay off all
but the contested charge, they will charge interest on the contested
charge, and then the next month when you don't pay it, they will charge
a late fee and interest, etc. You should get it back, but in the mean
time your credit rating goes down and the interest rate increases.

Either you need a new credit card provider, you're not in the US, or
there is more to this story.

Barry
Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

If you make a formal complaint to contest the charge, there are no fees
or interest on that portion of the charges.

Wanta bet? That's the way it is supposed to be, but ...

No, that's the way it is, by law (US Fair Credit Act). But only if you
make the complaint and follow up according to the rules are they
obliged.

Here's a link to a summary of the provisions of the Act...

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/card...html#Question4
George E. Cawthon

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:32:37 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

... snip

[...]

Umm, No. We are not talking about a fly by night company.
If I had paid by check it would have been easy, I would have
simply canceled the check at a cost of $7.00. My case is a
bit unusual. I had to buy the item (meaning charged on my
card) before Jan 1 to deduct the cost on my income tax. I
tried to get Dell to simply bill it before Jan 1 but I
didn't really care about the delivery time, but they
wouldn't bill until shipped. I kept getting a later and
later shipping date. When I got a notice of delivery in the
middle of January, I canceled the Dell order and ordered
from Gateway because they agreed to bill my card immediately
and they did. Unfortunately, Dell delivered the stuff 3
days later (about December 21) after I had canceled it so I
refused delivery. Of course their biggest screw up was
sending me a message that delivery be very delayed when it
was already shipped.

If they had communications among their various departments,
all would have been well, but obviously the shipping,
billing, and sales departments didn't communicate. As it
was, the three boxes went back immediately, but the real
hangup was that at their shipping dock, they immediately
rerouted a $500 monitor to another customer and it was
delivered. All that info was fully available on the
shipping routing through the Internet, but Dell couldn't
find it and then they couldn't credit it correctly to me,
etc., etc. I think you call it incompetent cooperation.
Daniel Prince

"Uncle" wrote:

I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to
have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance.

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS
on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave
packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.
in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

mp

I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to
have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance.

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS
on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave
packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Same here. It has happened too many times to me. I've long since given up on
UPS, even for my business. All of my suppliers are told not to ship via UPS,
and any outgoing deliveries are sent via other couriers.

Red Neckerson

"mp" wrote in message
I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to
have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance.

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS
on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave
packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Same here. It has happened too many times to me. I've long since given up
on UPS, even for my business. All of my suppliers are told not to ship via
UPS, and any outgoing deliveries are sent via other couriers.

I am GLAD they leave the packages on my porch! You know how much of a pain
in the ass it is to come home and find a slip telling you that "We attempted
to make a delivery" and then you have to haul ass 30 minutes away to try and
pick up the package before the place closes?

Duane Bozarth

Red Neckerson wrote:

"mp" wrote in message
I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to
have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance.

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS
on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave
packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Same here. It has happened too many times to me. I've long since given up
on UPS, even for my business. All of my suppliers are told not to ship via
UPS, and any outgoing deliveries are sent via other couriers.

I am GLAD they leave the packages on my porch! You know how much of a pain
in the ass it is to come home and find a slip telling you that "We attempted
to make a delivery" and then you have to haul ass 30 minutes away to try and
pick up the package before the place closes?

So do I, but they (as well as the others) are instructed (and we keep
same drivers pretty well, fortunately) to leave stuff in the shop, not
out in the open. On the farm, I don't worry much...in town I'd not even
think of it.

It's a lot less pita to go get or have them deliver at another time than
it is to follow-up on a stolen delivery...

I guess it's a calculated risk by UPS on whether it's cheaper in the
long run to lose a few as compared to keeping drivers on schedule...
Duane Bozarth

Red Neckerson wrote:
I WAS talking about home delivery. I do not think I'd want them just to
leave a package sitting outside the door at my place of business.....

I know...many places of which I'm aware, including a significant part of
town here, I'd never expect anything to last 10 minutes on a
doorstep---too many sticky-fingered kids and transients...

willshak

On 1/16/2005 10:40 AM US(ET), Red Neckerson took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

"mp" wrote in message

[...]

They are usually more service oriented towards businesses, especially if
you have a good looking secretary or receptionist that they can chat
with for a few minutes.

--
Bill
John

You know, someone needed to change this topic to UPS POOR SERVICE, as
this definitely is NOT a HF issue, but instead is a UPS issue

John

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:55:53 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

"Uncle" wrote:

I can't imagine even HF sending items that had to
have additional insurance, without a signature confirmation/acceptance.

I have had packages that said on them signature required left by UPS
on my porch. I am almost always home and often UPS will leave
packages on the porch without even ringing the door bell.

Red Neckerson

"John" wrote in message
You know, someone needed to change this topic to UPS POOR SERVICE, as
this definitely is NOT a HF issue, but instead is a UPS issue

No, what "they" need to do is drop it, PERIOD!

It's getting old and lame......like me......

Steve

Ignoramus1946 wrote:

I bought a PVC 1/4" air line from HF. It lasted 6 minutes before it
ruptured at about 100 PSI. What a POS product.

I 2nd & 3rd that. They opened here a while back, and I'd been avoiding going
there, 'cause I knew most (probably all) of their stuff is cheap import crap.
Finally couldn't resist, and bought a muffler pipe expander. It was
a only $15, and figured I'd try 'em, and hey, if it worked only once, I'd
win. Stripped the treads on it the very 1st time I tried to use it.
And I was using only hand tools, and was heating the pipe to a cherry red
before trying to expand it and before inserting the expander. Repaired
it by using a long grade 5 bolt & nut. The original compression bolt was
made from very soft metal. Should take the whole damn thing back, but I
won't bother for $15. Another thing I will not take back is myself.

Won't go there again, I hope.
I M...U...S...T R...E...S...I...S...T, M....U...S...T RESIST!
Buyer beware.

Thanks, Steve