effi

Default What to clean out carburetor varnish

try running it longer, that should clear it out eventually and it should
smooth out and accelerate normally under load

if not the carb will have to be rebuilt or at least cleaned, taking one
apart you may have gaskets that could be broken even if properly
disassembled, so go real real slow if it gets down to you HAVING to try
this,,,best to get someone experienced to rebuild or clean it

wrote in message
I got a 5HP Tecumseh engine on a snowblower and the catburetor is
varnished up. I can tell from the smell of the old gas. There was no
gas in the tank but must have been some in the carb bowl and gas line.
At first it would not start at all, but after turning the needle on
the bottom of the bowl, I got it to start. Although it will keep
running, I must keep it aprtly choked or it dies. If I attempt to put
it to some snow, it dies right away.

I put some spray carb cleaner in the gas (new gas), and left it run
for an hour. The running has smoothed out, but it still needs to stay
halfway choked and still dies under load.

Is there a better carb cleaner, or something like laquer thinner that
I can add to the gas to clean it while it runs? If this is not
possible and I must tear the carb apart, is there a way to do it
without a rebuild kit? I am asking this because I live in a rural area
and am snowed in. I cant just get a kit, and even if I could get out
of here, I'd still have to order the kit. I'm thinking of just
removing the bowl and cleaning it and the needle. If I do tear it
apart, what is the best thing to remove the crud, just the spray carb
cleaner, or is there something better?

I have the spray cleaner and laquer thinner on hand.

One other thing. How many turns from the stop (finger tight) should
the needle be backed out for the initial starting. I am just guessing
now.

PS. I can leave it idle till it runs out of gas if there is a way to
disolve the crud while it runs, which is what I prefer, since I have
no way to get parts.....

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

glockdoc

Sounds like the main jet is clogged. If it has a bowl, it's possible
the bolt that holds the bowl onto the carb has the main jet built into
it, you will see the holes drilled into its side after removal. Just
clean them out with a toothpick or small piece of wire. good luck

Eric

[...]

GumOut is probably the best carb cleaner around, but you might have
additional problems that cleaning wont solve.
Eric
--
Byte=8 bits, a kilobyte is 1024 bytes
There is no such thing as a kibibit,mebibit etc