LFR

Default PB pipe

This is a general information question for anyone who might have an answer...

I have polybutylene pipe in my home. The house was built in 1991. SO FAR (as I know, anyway) I have not had any problems...BUT...Is there a possibility that I won't have any problems with this kind of pipe?

I currently live in Virginia but hail from New England (where copper is king) so have no real knowledge of what problems I may face in the future.

My understanding is the problems associated with this pipe is with the joints as opposed to the pipe itself.

Should I be proactive and get rid of this stuff or should I wait?

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Roy

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:45:22 -0500, "LFR" wrote:

This is a general information question for anyone who might have an answer...

I have polybutylene pipe in my home. The house was built in 1991. SO FAR (as I know, anyway) I have not had any problems...BUT...Is there a possibility that I won't have any problems with this kind of pipe?

I currently live in Virginia but hail from New England (where copper is king) so have no real knowledge of what problems I may face in the future.

My understanding is the problems associated with this pipe is with the joints as opposed to the pipe itself.

Should I be proactive and get rid of this stuff or should I wait?

Thanks in advance.

I would and did replace mine with PEX.
I installed the PB myself using reusable fittings. I really liked it
as I frequently make changes around this old farm house that did have
galvanized pipes. All went well for many years, then I added a
chlorinator in an attempt to make the water safer since a neighbor had
built 10 huge chicken houses next door and my water started to test
bad.

Some few years after that I started to get splits in the PB pipes.
Not sure if it was the age or chlorine that caused the splits. After
a few of those I replaced all the PB with PEX using the same reusable
fittings that had been on the PB. Not had any more problems.

I read about the fittings/connectors being the problem but I think it
is the PB tubing.

I think most people use a crimp on fitting system but I did not. I
have never had a removable fitting fail, just the PB tubing but always
near a fitting so may be the fitting is somehow damaging the tubing.

Roy