Jeff Wisnia

Default Snow Blower engine RPMs?

I've got a feeling the governed full speed RPM of the 6 HP Tecumseh
"Snow King" engine on my 1964 Ariens Sno-Thro has been decreasing over
the years, as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back, and nothing seems obstructed or
noticably worn.

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original
manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs
should be set to.

The governor spring has probably taken a set over the years, probably
because of my habit of shutting it down by leaving the engine running at
full speed and closing the fuel petcock, which leaves the spring
stretched a bit all the time.

Thanks guys and Happy New Year,

Jeff

* So named because it predates safety features. The front halves of the
auger ends are exposed and there's no dead man system, other than the
gas tank running dry.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Greg O

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original
manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs
should be set to.

3600 RPM.
Greg

Jeff Wisnia

Greg O wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original
manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs
should be set to.

3600 RPM.
Greg

Thanks. Measured it tonite as around 3,500 with the wireless tach. Guess
I was barking up the wrong tree. The snow may have been so dry and
powdery that air resistance slowed it down before it flew very far.
Yesterday was the first time I ran the blower since last winter, so my
memory of the "right" engine sound was probably off too.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Help with snow blower J Home Repair 2 January 6th 04 01:50 AM
Generator or snow blower...that is the question Wade Lippman Home Ownership 0 September 8th 03 01:19 AM