Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default Repost link to door replacing page?

A month or two ago someone posted a link to a page showing how to
install a new door into an existing jamb, using the old door as the
template for locating the hinges, etc. I, brilliantly, lost the link.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

It was probably this page:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/d...hang/solid.htm

Or another page at that same site. Anyway, having done this 3 times
recently, I found that measuring the existing jamb to be more accurate
because your matching up method assumes that the existing hinges on the
door are on the right spot. In my case one of them was 1/8" off! I
corrected that on the new door and when I went to hang it it matched up
perfectly! And it was a heavy exterior door with 3 hinges on it, and
believe me, that makes a difference. I caught the previous
misalignment by attaching my new hinges to the existing door and jamb
and tried to rehang it, just for test purposes. When I backchecked
everything I discovered that there really was one hinge that was off by
that much!

On 12/28/2004 5:49 AM wrote:

It was probably this page:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/d...hang/solid.htm

Thanks, but that is not it. That page shows how to hang a new pre-hung
door in a new roughed-out opening. In this house the old bathroom door
and door jambs are in place. I'm looking for help transferring the old
door's hinge and lock hardware to the new door so they line up with the
bits on the jamb.

Or another page at that same site.

Nope. The instructions I saw (then lost) used the old door as a guide
and template.

I've never done a door before. Here's my chance to impress my lovely wife.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
MUADIB®

Nope. The instructions I saw (then lost) used the old door as a guide
and template.

There's your answer Mike.................Use the old one for a patern.

The hardest thing to deal with will be the size of the door matching
the old one,(length and width and square) but even that shouldn't kill
you.

Just pull the old door off lay it one the new door ( making sure you
know which sides are the top and bottom and hinge sides and matching
those up ), make markings to match new door to old, the remove old
door and set aside and make cuts to "adjust" door to proper
size/shape, then cut the hinges in with a chisel............or Hinge
Mortising bit for your router. Then drill your Doorknob set and your
done!..............See how easy that was?

You may need your assistant Ingesp to help.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

On 12/28/2004 6:36 PM MUADIB® wrote:

Nope. The instructions I saw (then lost) used the old door as a guide
and template.

There's your answer Mike.................Use the old one for a patern.

The hardest thing to deal with will be the size of the door matching
the old one,(length and width and square) but even that shouldn't kill
you.

Just pull the old door off lay it one the new door ( making sure you
know which sides are the top and bottom and hinge sides and matching
those up ), make markings to match new door to old, the remove old
door and set aside and make cuts to "adjust" door to proper
size/shape, then cut the hinges in with a chisel............or Hinge
Mortising bit for your router. Then drill your Doorknob set and your
done!..............See how easy that was?

I just know I'll end up with one hinge too high or low. And the
slidey-out thing on the door lock won't go into the hole in the striker
plate.

(I gotta look up the names of these things.)

So it's a transfer-the-location-of-the-hinges-with-a-square kinda thing?

You may need your assistant Ingesp to help.

Inge's on vacation right now. Good thing, too. She is dangerously curvey
and very fertile and there is little to do right now, what with the
rains and all, and her lab smock would cling to her body fetchingly and
.. . . well, idle hands and the Devil in search of a workshop and all that.

Link Belts George G Metalworking 6 January 12th 04 03:43 PM
Link Belt Success Thomas Mitchell Woodworking 6 August 27th 03 03:55 AM
my new web page with a few projects I've done bb sythe Woodworking 1 August 19th 03 09:46 AM