Mitch

Default wainscot over tile walls?

I'm thinking of remodelling my 1950s era bathroom and was looking for
some advice. All 4 walls are tiled 3/4 of the way, with drywall making
up the balance. Behind the tile is some sort of (concrete?) backerboard
.. Being somewhat lazy, I was wondering If I could just use Liquid Nails
to put up some Wainscoting panels directly onto the existing wall tile.
Barring that, do I need to demolish both the tile and the original
backerboard or can I just stop with the wall tile? If I need to
demolish all of it, I might as well put up new drywall in the entire
room, but doing that would make this a bigger remodelling effort
than I care to take on.

Thanks for your advice folks.

Happy Holidays
Mitch
Mitch

3rd eye wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:06:07 -0600, Mitch wrote:

I'm thinking of remodelling my 1950s era bathroom and was looking for
some advice. All 4 walls are tiled 3/4 of the way, with drywall making
up the balance. Behind the tile is some sort of (concrete?) backerboard
. Being somewhat lazy, I was wondering If I could just use Liquid Nails
to put up some Wainscoting panels directly onto the existing wall tile.

Of course you could.

Barring that, do I need to demolish both the tile and the original
backerboard or can I just stop with the wall tile? If I need to
demolish all of it, I might as well put up new drywall in the entire
room, but doing that would make this a bigger remodelling effort
than I care to take on.

Thanks for your advice folks.

Happy Holidays
Mitch

If you take the tile off, plan on taking it down to bare studs &
re-rocking.

Thanks for the feedback. Any caveats or tips you care to share about
putting panelling directly over tile (surface prep, type of adhesive
etc) would be much appreciated!

PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants Ben UK diy 24 April 30th 04 09:54 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
Bathroom Tile Redo Nightmare C Home Repair 10 November 16th 03 03:08 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM