effi

Default concrete poured over asphalt ok for living area?

can concrete be poured over existing asphalt and result be used as slab for
house/living area?

any outgassing problems from the asphalt into the living area?

William Deans

Greetings,

My house contains an addition which is a slab poured over asphalt. The
asphalt eventually "biodegraded" and another slab had to be poured over the
fist slab.

Hope this helps,
William

"effi" wrote in message
can concrete be poured over existing asphalt and result be used as slab

for
house/living area?

any outgassing problems from the asphalt into the living area?

Roger Shoaf

"effi" wrote in message
can concrete be poured over existing asphalt and result be used as slab

for
house/living area?

any outgassing problems from the asphalt into the living area?

Sounds to me like this would be pennywise and pound foolish. asphalt is a
mixture of tar,sand and gravel used in a thin layer as pavement to keep your
car out of the mud. If you are pouring a slab over this and building a
house on top of it the weight might very well cause the asphalt to deform
and your concrete to crack.

Seems to me you would be better off to properly grade and prepare the
substrate to support the slab to try and avoid the problems.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Concrete Pad with single brick wall on 3 sides Julian UK diy 4 February 29th 04 10:31 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 08:15 AM
re-use old concrete as an aggregate ? PoP UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 01:06 PM