bumtracks

Default Sealing Compound to use on 1/8" engine fittings?

if threads are clean,
white Loctite Thread Sealant - there's two, both will work dandy in any
automotive threads.
one is extra high heat, for cyl head fittings or exhaust bolts, but
other is better for later on taking stuff apart if not super hot location.
(and not the one with teflon)
doesn't actually fully lock it.

"Ignoramus31279" wrote in message
I am installing a bunch of 1/8" NPT fittings into an engine (26 year
old Onan DJE generator). I would like to make sure that no matter
what, the engine oil sealed off by the fittings, does not spill.

Should I use teflon tape (which is a hassle), or is there some nice
compound that I can put on threads?

thanks

John Willis

On 22 Dec 2004 15:49:47 GMT, Ignoramus31279
scribbled this interesting note:

I am installing a bunch of 1/8" NPT fittings into an engine (26 year
old Onan DJE generator). I would like to make sure that no matter
what, the engine oil sealed off by the fittings, does not spill.

Should I use teflon tape (which is a hassle), or is there some nice
compound that I can put on threads?

thanks

Here's some reading material related to your question.

Hope this helps!

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...ttings+sealant

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Demon

It's called "Loctite 567" aka pipe dope or PST. And it does not have any
locking properties, only high heat sealing. Loctite 545 is for NPT threads
in a hydraulic application.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:59:31 GMT, bumtracks wrote:
if threads are clean,
white Loctite Thread Sealant - there's two, both will work dandy in any
automotive threads.
one is extra high heat, for cyl head fittings or exhaust bolts,

but
other is better for later on taking stuff apart if not super hot

location.
(and not the one with teflon)
doesn't actually fully lock it.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.