PJX

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:33:41 GMT, "Leroy Mowry" wrote:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Just use an ax.

It may take a couple of hours a day for a couple of weeks, but it is
cheap and it makes you strong.

PJ

m Ransley

The neighbors sewer is old that is their problem. Your tree did not
cause it. A good pipe a tree will not damage. You should not have cut it
for that. Your neighbor could have just trimmed it off his house at his
expense. The cutting also should have been the neighbors expense. If the
tree was healthy your responsibility ends. If it was dead then yes you
are responsible. Next time dont be so nice.Make him pay for the stump
removal, he had no right to complain.

effi

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
"v" wrote
When you say it "moves freely" - what do you really mean, that you can
rock it back and forth, spin it around a few degrees? Why do you have
to remove the stump anyway? How is the neighbor the boss of you?

Thanks all for the intelligent, proven ideas. The neighbor complains that
the roots are damaging their plumbing and that the branches scraping their
bedroom roof are just too dangerous. I just got a call from the city
saying
that they'll take the stump for free if it's pushed to the curbside. I
will
inspect for the fibrous root underneath again, which we suspect are gone
since we rock the stump from side to side (2'). But first we'll move the
stump upward a inches or so to get a good view down there. I apologize
for the size, as a few posters notice. It's actually nearly 3 ft cubed (27
cu ft)
but not 3 cu ft. Thankfully, another poster (Mark) posted photographs
identical to my problem. The same driveway, location, fences,
dirt, and tools. The only difference is that the stump and dug hole are
almost about "two or three times" as great compared to these pictures.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

I assume a neighbor may complain if the tree is within a certain
distance from their property. Or if the roots of a line tree or
neighboring tree cause problems, an owner can abate the nuisance.
Civil Code Section 3502. Can anyone advise if I'm interpreting the
law correctly? Thanks.

a lawyer could

as to the issues, seems "neighbor law" applies, and varies from jurisdiction
to jurisdiction

the root invasion, if a reality, could have been repaired and the invading
roots stopped with bio barrier
http://www.biobarrier.com/

branch invasion is generally the responsibility of the owner of the property
being invaded, but i don't hink it lends itself to
open and notorious use" such that the tree owner could gain ownership of the
"airspace" over the invaded property

the 1/3 or so size tree/hole in the pic you reference looks like it was at
the corner of a house, feet away from the foundation, not a good location
for a tree, if your tree was that near your house foundation, good idea it
was removed

TURTLE

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
.. .
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

This is Turtle.

First to get the stump out of the ground. If it will move a little and you then
can run a chain around the roots and around the whole thing to attach it
succurely to the chain. Then attach the chain to your truck and start pulling
with small jerks and work up to big jerks. You can pull one way the un hook from
it and pull from the other way. You can work it out of the ground and when it
comes loose it will come out of the ground.

Now to get it in you truck. Buy you cheap come a long from the hardware store or
borrow a come along and drag the stump over to a tree with the truck and then
run the chain up and over a limb and the use the come a long to pull it up and
then drive your truck under it and then let it down in your truck.

TURTLE

lenny fackler

Maybe it would have been a good idea to just grind the stump and
have a
large pile of mulch.

The guy I hired to take down some trees did this for me. Grind them
down, cover with potting soil, throw down some grass seed and it's
done.
I used the mulch to tame an overgrown corner of the yard.

Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
Tree Stump m Ransley Home Repair 23 August 26th 04 02:46 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
Tree stump removal with rock salt? Arthur Davis Home Repair 19 February 24th 04 05:41 PM