Eraserhead

Default Boiler question

We just moved into a 96 year old house in September. It has a hot water
boiler with some old/some newer radiators around the house. The heat has
been pretty steady and good. A few days ago the temp seemed to drop a bit,
so my girlfriend turned it up, and it didn't go up, so the next day she
turned it up again. Still no change.

I pulled the thermostat off the wall and tipped it all the way to one side
(old mercury type) and the boiler kicked on. So since the thermostat was
pretty old, I went and bought a new one. Wired it up and all seemed good.
The boiler was running, etc. But after all day yesterday and last night it
won't get above 60 degrees in the house. It has been very cold here the last
two days (about -4 without the wind chill).

So my question is, could this be something with the thermostat since it
seems to be steady at 60 (even though the thermostat is set at 74). Or is
there something with the boiler that I can check for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stormin Mormon

First, you need to go to Home Depot, and get another thermostat. Second, ask
his question on Alt.Hvac, where the pros can help you out.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eraserhead" wrote in message
[...]

Speedy Jim

Eraserhead wrote:
[...]

Is the boiler firing continuously? Gas-fired? Oil-fired?
Or, does the burner come on and off repeatedly? How often?

Are the pipes leading to the rads hot enough to burn your hand?

Jim
Eraserhead

Well I didn't buy it at Home Depot for starts, second it's gas fired. The
radiators won't burn you right away, but I don't think you can hold onto
them for too long or it might. Haven't checked the pipes in the basement. My
boss said his house will only got up to about 62 yesterday and he also has
gas fired hot water heat. So I wonder if my boiler/radiator setup just can't
handle that kind of cold?

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Eraserhead wrote:
[...]

m Ransley

Dont listen to Stormin, you have not proved the thermost is bad and alt
Hvac is Not the place.
"The Wall" is.
But here is an idea. Is the boiler running constantly, what temp is the
aqua stat at, what is the temp and water height, " altitude " on the
gauge, Is the recirculator pump running. Did you bleed the radiators of
air, are they hot to the top. Answer these first.
But honestly you need a tech for a system review-clean-setup-homeowner
lesson. And for your education so you Know whats what. Ignorance can
ruin a boiler in many ways.

Bubba

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:26:03 GMT, "Eraserhead"
wrote:

[...]

Not enough info. What type radiators do you have? What is the temp of
your water. Are the burners constantly running when the house wont get
above 60?
-4 degrees is mighty cold. That is below the design temperature of a
home where I live.
Call someone to look at it before you freeze to death.
Doint listen to Stormy. He hasnt a clue.
And I have no idea what a re-circulator is that Ransley mentioned.
Bubba
Edwin Pawlowski

"Eraserhead" wrote in message

I pulled the thermostat off the wall and tipped it all the way to one side
(old mercury type) and the boiler kicked on. So since the thermostat was
pretty old, I went and bought a new one. Wired it up and all seemed good.
The boiler was running, etc. But after all day yesterday and last night it
won't get above 60 degrees in the house. It has been very cold here the
last two days (about -4 without the wind chill).

So my question is, could this be something with the thermostat since it
seems to be steady at 60 (even though the thermostat is set at 74). Or is
there something with the boiler that I can check for?

It may not be enough capacity for the house. Is the burner turning off and
on once in a while? If it is cycling properly, the thermostat is working.
What is the aquastat set at? If it is too low, the water will not get hot
enough to carry the heat needed. Find out what the recommended setting is
and use that. You don't want to make steam, just have the water hot enough
to be efficient.

The thermostat usually turns on the circulator pump to get the hot water
moving. Once it circulates, hot water leaves the boiler, cooler water comes
in. The aquastat in the boiler senses that and turns on the burner to heat
it up. Usually there is about a 20 degrees differential. You may want to
have a technician come out and show you how the system operates.

Check out how well the house is insulated, storm windows, etc. That can
save a bundle on heating costs.
Ed

m Ransley

Bubba, the recirculator pump, usualy a B&G moves the water through the
system to Heat more evenly then old gravity systems. A common retrofit
50 - 60 yrs ago. If aqua stat is set say at 140 but house thermostat is
still calling for heat the pump will just run till water gets to say 135
then refiring the boiler. Pump stuts off when house thermostst is
satisfied.

Tekkie

Stumped Moron posted for all of us....

First, you need to go to Home Depot, and get another thermostat.

What a wack & hack.

Second, ask his question on Alt.Hvac, where the pros can help you out.

NOOOOO do not do that!
--

Christopher A. Young

This guy is a jamb busting, ripoff locksmith and a HVAC hack and wanna be
that can't pour **** out of boot with the directions written on the heel.
--
Tekkie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bubba" wrote in message

I know EXACTLY what it is. Ive only been in this for 25ish years now.
Third generation actually. It is NOT called a recirculator. It is
called a B&G CIRCULATOR pump motor. There is no RE in it.

Technicly, he is correct. You can circulate water one time. After that is is
being re-circulated.

m Ransley

Well Re bubbaass this ass, and put your teeth back in cause you are
slurring. Or maybe its the inbreeding. What I described is exactly the
way my 2 boilers are set up, And a new one . you obviously dont work
much on HWH, a shame, or know much about HWH RE Bubba. So Re this FU
you dip**** hilbilly

m Ransley

Re bubass , you dont like the word RE, well Grundfos calls them
"REcirculators", Maybe you better tell Grundfos they are wrong on the RE
first thing tomorrow! Stop fixing all those hilbilly wood stoves
bubbass and get out in the REal world, you REinbred hillbubba.

A startup cycle is a fireing. A thermostat calling for heat but firing
shut down at aqua stat high temp and REcirculator pump still running
then RE Firing at the lower temp the Aquastat allows, I call a REfire.
Same cycle.

If the same water in a loop is REcirculated , the term REcirculating
is apropriate.

Try googling REcirculator pumps , REbubass you might RElearn something
you REforgot

Bubba

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:43:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message

I know EXACTLY what it is. Ive only been in this for 25ish years now.
Third generation actually. It is NOT called a recirculator. It is
called a B&G CIRCULATOR pump motor. There is no RE in it.

Technicly, he is correct. You can circulate water one time. After that is is
being re-circulated.

Well I can RE eat and RE **** too but I dont think I will.
Bubba

Edwin Pawlowski

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Re bubass , you dont like the word RE, well Grundfos calls them
"REcirculators", Maybe you better tell Grundfos they are wrong on the RE
first thing tomorrow! Stop fixing all those hilbilly wood stoves
bubbass and get out in the REal world, you REinbred hillbubba.

Looks like Ransley wins. From the Grundfos web page. :

Application area
Hot water recirculation in domestic dwellings and other small
building complexes.

http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehand...256E9E0045123C

Greg O

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Re bubass , you dont like the word RE, well Grundfos calls them
"REcirculators",

Funny, I just checked over the Grundfos web site. No mention of
REcirculaters any where. Seems they have quite a few circulating pumps
though!
Greg

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Re bubass , you dont like the word RE, well Grundfos calls them
"REcirculators", Maybe you better tell Grundfos they are wrong on the RE
first thing tomorrow! Stop fixing all those hilbilly wood stoves
bubbass and get out in the REal world, you REinbred hillbubba.

Looks like Ransley wins. From the Grundfos web page. :

Application area
Hot water recirculation in domestic dwellings and other small
building complexes.

http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehand...18C468C1256E9E
0045123C

Sure, the pump is for rercirculating water, But look the web site over well.
Check out their online catalog. No recirculating pump to be had anywhere,
they have a bunch on circulating pumps though!
Us guys in the biz call them circulating pumps. Just replaced one about 2
hours ago.
Greg

Dr. Hardcrab

"Greg O" wrote

Sure, the pump is for rercirculating water, But look the web site over
well.
Check out their online catalog. No recirculating pump to be had anywhere,
they have a bunch on circulating pumps though!
Us guys in the biz call them circulating pumps. Just replaced one about 2
hours ago.

So did I, but it was a Taco. And I didn't even use any sauce.....

HvacTech2

Hi Edwin, hope you are having a nice day

On 20-Dec-04 At About 03:02:07, Edwin Pawlowski wrote to All
Subject: Boiler question

EP From: "Edwin Pawlowski"

EP Looks like Ransley wins. From the Grundfos web page. :

EP Application area Hot water recirculation in domestic dwellings and
EP other small building complexes.

EP http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehand...6F2EEBBC518C46
EP 8C1256E9E004 5123C

Not quite, a "recirc loop" is for domestic hot water and is for keeping the
water hot to all of the sinks and tubs in the house.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "I bought instant water but I don't know what to add..."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Bubba

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:22:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Re bubass , you dont like the word RE, well Grundfos calls them
"REcirculators", Maybe you better tell Grundfos they are wrong on the RE
first thing tomorrow! Stop fixing all those hilbilly wood stoves
bubbass and get out in the REal world, you REinbred hillbubba.

Looks like Ransley wins. From the Grundfos web page. :

Application area
Hot water recirculation in domestic dwellings and other small
building complexes.

http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehand...256E9E0045123C

You know what Eddie Polocky. You're a dumber ****ing idiot than
Ransley. I checked over your link. NOWHERE did if find a REcirculator.
Is it written in Spanish somewhere? I found circulator after
circulator on the whole website. Face it you **** wit. You lose.
Bubba
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bubba" wrote in message
Looks like Ransley wins. From the Grundfos web page. :

Application area
Hot water recirculation in domestic dwellings and other small
building complexes.

http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehand...256E9E0045123C

You know what Eddie Polocky. You're a dumber ****ing idiot than
Ransley.

Ha Ha, Bubba can't read. Look at the link and quote I copied.

m Ransley

Do a Google on
" grundfos Recirculator pumps" You will see.
Just Recirculator Pumps will hit you 6000+ at Google.
An no Rebubba I never even put in a pump or an ignitor, OH yes , just
one ignitor. But I can read. Circulator vs Recirculator.
You say Poe-tay-toe. I say, Poe-ta-toe.
You say it is partly cloudy out , I say it is partly sunny.
You say the glass is half empty, I say half full.

m Ransley

RE bubba, a Grundfos UP-NB at Edwins posted Grundfos site lists the
UP-NB as a REcirculator, Or shold I REpost it.

Well Im going to RE- heat my coffee.

alt hvac is where you are truely at home bubba

Stormin Mormon

If the snow falls (1) , and then you shovel it (2), are you doing snow
removal?

--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas