Eraserhead

Well I didn't buy it at Home Depot for starts, second it's gas fired. The
radiators won't burn you right away, but I don't think you can hold onto
them for too long or it might. Haven't checked the pipes in the basement. My
boss said his house will only got up to about 62 yesterday and he also has
gas fired hot water heat. So I wonder if my boiler/radiator setup just can't
handle that kind of cold?

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Eraserhead wrote:
We just moved into a 96 year old house in September. It has a hot water
boiler with some old/some newer radiators around the house. The heat has
been pretty steady and good. A few days ago the temp seemed to drop a
bit, so my girlfriend turned it up, and it didn't go up, so the next day
she turned it up again. Still no change.

I pulled the thermostat off the wall and tipped it all the way to one
side (old mercury type) and the boiler kicked on. So since the thermostat
was pretty old, I went and bought a new one. Wired it up and all seemed
good. The boiler was running, etc. But after all day yesterday and last
night it won't get above 60 degrees in the house. It has been very cold
here the last two days (about -4 without the wind chill).

So my question is, could this be something with the thermostat since it
seems to be steady at 60 (even though the thermostat is set at 74). Or is
there something with the boiler that I can check for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is the boiler firing continuously? Gas-fired? Oil-fired?
Or, does the burner come on and off repeatedly? How often?

Are the pipes leading to the rads hot enough to burn your hand?

Jim