Trying to Help

Default Uneven Shingle

All,

I just had the roof redone, and am seeing that some shingles have air
pockets underneath. My thought is that each sheet of shingle should be
fastened to the one beneath, without void. It seems like I have 3 feet
of adhesion, .5 feet lifted off (about 1 inch off), and another 3 feet
of adhesion. Is this normal? Is each shingle sheet expected to adhere
completely to the one below? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Travis Jordan

Trying to Help wrote:
All,

I just had the roof redone, and am seeing that some shingles have air
pockets underneath. My thought is that each sheet of shingle should
be fastened to the one beneath, without void. It seems like I have 3
feet of adhesion, .5 feet lifted off (about 1 inch off), and another
3 feet of adhesion. Is this normal? Is each shingle sheet expected
to adhere completely to the one below? Any advice would be
appreciated.

What do you mean by 'shingle sheet'? Shingles are normally much smaller
than the dimensions you've listed.

Pop

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're defining but something definitely
sounds "OFF" there. INX, but gaps, especially of an inch or so,
unless they are part of the design you bought, ain't right.
Shingles don't actually "adhere" all the way to the edge right
away, especially this time of year if they're the type with the
mastic on them, so it wouldn't be unusual to be able to lift them
a bit along the edges. However, a one inch gap isn't right for a
standard shingle job.

Why are you asking for advice here as opposed to getting hold of
that contractor and making him look at and explain the situation?
If you didn't like his answer, THEN you might have something to
post about, but, as it is, it's impossible to tell much of
anything with so little detail. Too many different types of roof
designs around to make even an intelligent guess based on input
so far.

Regards,

Pop

Trying to Help wrote:
All,

I just had the roof redone, and am seeing that some shingles
have air
pockets underneath. My thought is that each sheet of shingle
should
be fastened to the one beneath, without void. It seems like I
have
3 feet of adhesion, .5 feet lifted off (about 1 inch off), and
another 3 feet of adhesion. Is this normal? Is each shingle
sheet
expected to adhere completely to the one below? Any advice
would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Norminn

Trying to Help wrote:
All,

I just had the roof redone, and am seeing that some shingles have air
pockets underneath. My thought is that each sheet of shingle should be
fastened to the one beneath, without void. It seems like I have 3 feet
of adhesion, .5 feet lifted off (about 1 inch off), and another 3 feet
of adhesion. Is this normal? Is each shingle sheet expected to adhere
completely to the one below? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What brand/style of "shingle"? Did you have a building permit for the
work? Written bid? Licensed roofer? The shingle package normally has
installation instructions printed on it, including the number/spacing of
nails. That could also likely be found on the internet. Winter not the
best time for reroof, as sun helps stick them down.

If you have shingles that are truly raised an inch at the edge instead
of laying flat, something is very wrong. In fact, it's hard to imagine
how this would happen. These will be gone in the first good wind
storm. I'd hire a home inspector to give you a written opinion and
then deal with the contractor.

Pop

Nor is it hard to imagine the wind pulling them off, in long,
multi-row fashion, and driving rain being pushed up under them,
and a horrendous mess resulting in the home. Nope, not at all.
Do you have a point, or are you trolling? The post preceding
yours makes lots of sense, asks the right, relevant questions,
and offers logical advice. You on the other hand have offered
absolutely nothing of value to the thread other than to look
silly. Did you actually have a point to make?

Pop
--
---
I may or may not know what I'm saying, but if I

John Willis wrote:
On 19 Dec 2004 15:58:17 -0800, scribbled
this
interesting note:

If you have shingles that are truly raised an inch at the
edge
instead of laying flat, something is very wrong. In fact,
it's
hard to imagine how this would happen. These will be gone
in the
first good wind storm. I'd hire a home inspector to give you
written opinion and then deal with the contractor.

Hard to imagine? In the winter? If they are asphalt
composition
shingles it isn't hard at all to imagine that there might be
voids
underneath the edges of the shingles given that they
sometimes, in
certain climates, take a while to conform to the underlayment.
Nope,
not hard at all to imagine...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Trying to Help

Here's the scoop from my contractor... Due to winter weather (40-60
degrees here in California), the shingles will contract, leaving voids
underneath. He assured me that when summer comes, the shingles will
spread out and laminate to the ones below. He also assured me that for
now, rain will not be an issue. The question I have is, why would the
shingles automatically laminate to one another, just because they're
softer (due to heat)? And once they're laminated, what prevents them
from curling up in the winter? I guess I don't have enough knowledge
on how shingles mate to one another. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Eric Tonks

"Winter" that is not winter, in Canada it is a warm spring or fall day. If
shingles were installed frozen and curled in a Canadian winter (yesterday -5
degrees) I would expect your problems as there is not enough heat in the sun
to soften them and flatten them out. BUT 40 to 60 degrees, as soon as the
sun hits them they should be settling down and flattening out. You should
not have to wait until summer, as the first day over 60 degrees should work.

"Trying to Help" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the scoop from my contractor... Due to winter weather (40-60
degrees here in California), the shingles will contract, leaving voids
underneath. He assured me that when summer comes, the shingles will
spread out and laminate to the ones below. He also assured me that for
now, rain will not be an issue. The question I have is, why would the
shingles automatically laminate to one another, just because they're
softer (due to heat)? And once they're laminated, what prevents them
from curling up in the winter? I guess I don't have enough knowledge
on how shingles mate to one another. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

John Willis

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:53:31 -0500, "Pop"
[...]

The point is, if shingles are installed in cloudy, cool weather, say
below fifty degrees, and they are not absolutely flat to begin with,
they may not all lay flat until a hot, sunny day comes along. Every
shingle wrapper indicates this is a possibility. They also say they
may not seal together until that hot, sunny day. Ever read a wrapper
on a bundle of shingles?

The point is, the manufacturers of asphalt, composition shingles know
and indicate on every wrapper on every bundle of shingles so every
purchaser and installer that can read may know that in cold weather
composition, asphalt shingles may not seal down, hence they may have
voids underneath them.

The point is that until he gets a warm day his roof will look a little
rough, assuming the shingles are installed correctly and the
underlayment is smooth.

The point is, experience illustrates the points I've made in this post
very well, over the course of thousands of roof installations.

Your point???

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Trying to Help

I have no point, as I am just the original poster, and trying to learn
something from you all. I don't have the packaging and could only base
my concerns on what the contractor told me.

Follow-up Question: Will installing "curled" shingles in the winter
cause damages or continue the uneven look in the long run? Thanks.

John Willis

On 20 Dec 2004 17:52:12 -0800, "Trying to Help"
scribbled this interesting note:

I have no point, as I am just the original poster, and trying to learn
something from you all. I don't have the packaging and could only base
my concerns on what the contractor told me.

Follow-up Question: Will installing "curled" shingles in the winter
cause damages or continue the uneven look in the long run? Thanks.

Stepping on or otherwise trying to straighten out curled asphalt
composition shingles when they are below fifty degrees may cause them
to break. Don't do it. Allow them to warm up naturally and smooth out
and all will be fine.

It gets pretty warm in the spring where you live, right? You even have
very warm days in the dead of winter, do you not? Over time, those
uneven shingles will warm up and straighten out. Even freshly
installed forty and fifty year shingles sometimes look rough all
winter long around here in north Texas, but when the hot weather
arrives, those shingles all smooth out, lie flat, and the roof looks
great.

As with most things, time takes care of it!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Trying to Help

All, Here's the definitive answer (Wished I had known this earlier).
In speaking with the roofing representative, the shingles contract in
the winter and harden, causing the curls. The shingles should soften
and laminate to one another when the sun comes out. There is no long
term effect, as the shingles should stay laminated going forward. The
learning here is that Winter is not a good time for roofing. Thanks to
all that have responded to this post.

Roger Shoaf

"Trying to Help" wrote in message
oups.com...

The question I have is, why would the
shingles automatically laminate to one another, just because they're
softer (due to heat)?

Under the lip of the shingle the manufacturer runs a tar strip. When you
get a nice warm day the tar softens and bonds to the granuals un the shingle
below.

And once they're laminated, what prevents them
from curling up in the winter?

The base material of the shingle is asphault impregnated fiberglass. When
this heats up, it softens and sticks together so that when it again gets
cold the tendancy to curl is imparts less force than the stickum so it stays
stuck. When applied in cold weather, the memory of the shingle is what it
was in the bundle so they act independantly.

If the roofer was not worried, you should be fine. He is the guy that is
going to get called a 3:00 A.M if your roof starts to leak and would have to
make good any damage.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.