Scott

Default Q: How To 'Soundproof' a Window?

We live on a ski-hill, and they have recently begun running their
snow-making machines all night. The window in our bedroom is allowing a lot
of noise through, and because of this we are looking for a sound-proofing
solution.

The window is also letting a draft through, so I imagine that it is a seal
problem causing both. All of the other windows in the house do not let much
of the noise through.

We don't ever open this window in the winter, so is there a type of foam /
caulking with which we could seal it up, and rid ourselves of the sleepless
nights?

Any help is appreciated.

Joseph Meehan

Scott wrote:
We live on a ski-hill, and they have recently begun running their
snow-making machines all night. The window in our bedroom is
allowing a lot of noise through, and because of this we are looking
for a sound-proofing solution.

The window is also letting a draft through, so I imagine that it is a
seal problem causing both. All of the other windows in the house do
not let much of the noise through.

We don't ever open this window in the winter, so is there a type of
foam / caulking with which we could seal it up, and rid ourselves of
the sleepless nights?

Any help is appreciated.

I suspect that you are going to want to seal it up, but I also suspect
you will want to add some additional sound deadening materials to reduce the
sound transmission through the window.

Here is a good source for information, and if you like materials.

http://www.soundproofing.org/

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Use the storm king plastic sheets that you affix around the interior
trim of the window and then heat with a hair dryer to strecth and seal.
This will cut the drafts out and if you want soundproofing either
invest in some soundproofing panels that you can stuff inbetween the
window and plastic panel or go buy your self some of the corrugated
foam pads people use on their beds. Cut it into shape stuff it in the
window and seal it inside with the storm king kit. This could be done
for $10-15 if you do it yourself.

John Hines

"Scott" wrote:

We don't ever open this window in the winter, so is there a type of foam /
caulking with which we could seal it up, and rid ourselves of the sleepless
nights?

Yes sealing it up will go a long way. If that fails, turn on a fan in
the room, the constant low hum will drown out the other noise, it is
easier to sleep with a constant low pitch hum, than outside noise that
comes and goes.

A little tip I learned from my ex, who used to live under the main in
bound approach to O'Hare.
effi

might also wanna check attic area over the window/room and increase
insulation there

xrongor

if you can afford to live on a ski hill, somehow i feel confident you can
afford to pay someone to install a proper window or fix the one you got.

that or put a blanket over the window...

randy

We live on a ski-hill, and they have recently begun running their
snow-making machines all night. The window in our bedroom is allowing a
lot
of noise through, and because of this we are looking for a sound-proofing
solution.

The window is also letting a draft through, so I imagine that it is a seal
problem causing both. All of the other windows in the house do not let
much
of the noise through.

We don't ever open this window in the winter, so is there a type of foam /
caulking with which we could seal it up, and rid ourselves of the
sleepless
nights?

Any help is appreciated.

Just how much skiing have you done. Most snow making equipment emitts
predominantly high frequency noise that is nearly defeaning close by,
but dampens very quickly with distance. The very low frequency sound
of a rolling train permeates buildings over spans of many miles, but
this is much different than that of a snowmaker. A low density foam
will be more effective at cutting the high frequencies and the high
density foarms do better a damping the low frequencies.

This shows the damping performance of several acoustic foarms.
http://www.800nonoise.com/foam.htm

Open cell, low density foams (egg crate type foams) are used very
heavily in noise reduction and are similar to a foam cushion (although
there are materials considerations beyond foam density) Regardless, we
are talking easy solutions here to cut down the noise. Just about any
material in the window will help even a very heavy curtain. Otherwise
in addition to the extra wall in front of the house this guy is renting
it would work nicely if we also rotated the house 180 degrees.

xrongor

you cant figure out how to plug a window and you call me the ass...
you're gonna throw money into someone elses rental and you call me the
ass...
you never said you were renting and i should just ASSume you are....

pick one.

randy