buck16

Default Where laminate meets door?

Question for you laminate or, I guess, any type of floor guys. Doing
laminate in my hall. Good everywhere until I get to the end where it
meets the garage door. There is a metal base drilled into the cement
right under the door. It's about three inches high. The door closes
right on top of it. What should I do here?

I can't cut the metal piece and go under.. Thought about butting the
laminate right up against it but that doesn't look good. A
transitional piece is my best option, I suppose, though it probably
ain't perfect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt
Edwin Pawlowski

"buck16" wrote in message ...
There is a metal base drilled into the cement
right under the door. It's about three inches high. The door closes
right on top of it. What should I do here?

Three inches high sounds quite high. Is this sort of a step up to the garage
from the adjoining room? Fire door?
In any case, I'd go close and then use a matching molding. The makers of
the laminate probably have a trim strip (unless you are using the cheap
stuff) that will work. If they don't have exactly what you want, it may be
possible to cut a piece down and just use the part you want.
Ed

willshak

On 12/19/2004 1:33 AM US(ET), buck16 took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Question for you laminate or, I guess, any type of floor guys. Doing
laminate in my hall. Good everywhere until I get to the end where it
meets the garage door. There is a metal base drilled into the cement
right under the door. It's about three inches high. The door closes
right on top of it. What should I do here?

I can't cut the metal piece and go under.. Thought about butting the
laminate right up against it but that doesn't look good. A
transitional piece is my best option, I suppose, though it probably
ain't perfect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

If the laminate is floating, there has to be a 1/4" gap around the
perimeter to allow for expansion. Along the wall, the gap would be
hidden by base and shoe moulding. Along something like you mention, the
laminate Mfg. should have a matching moulding strip that is similar to
moulding along the top of wainscotting, having a stepped backside. The
thickest part of the moulding is secured to the floor and the laminate
is able to move beneath the thinner part.

SQLit

"buck16" wrote in message
news
Question for you laminate or, I guess, any type of floor guys. Doing
laminate in my hall. Good everywhere until I get to the end where it
meets the garage door. There is a metal base drilled into the cement
right under the door. It's about three inches high. The door closes
right on top of it. What should I do here?

I can't cut the metal piece and go under.. Thought about butting the
laminate right up against it but that doesn't look good. A
transitional piece is my best option, I suppose, though it probably
ain't perfect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

My garage threshold was a pain as well. I removed the threshold and used a
hacksaw to remove part of the interior metal. I slipped the flooring under
the threshold and re sealed the threshold with new caulk and foam
insulation. Used the same screws to hold in place.