Dave

Default Refrigerator problem

HI,
We have a Whirlpool fridge thats about 7 years old runs fine but there is a
heating coil in the freezer that must be running ALL the time. The seals
are good and tried different settings. The freezer barely freezes because
of the heaters. The outside of the freezer area is always hot. Been like
this for a year, would try replacing a sensor or something if I knew where
to look. What's up with that?
Thanks,
Dave

m Ransley

There should be a clock-timer behind one of the thermostat panels, it is
probably broke in the On setting. Just a guess, as mine did this.

BOB URZ

Dave wrote:

HI,
We have a Whirlpool fridge thats about 7 years old runs fine but there is a
heating coil in the freezer that must be running ALL the time. The seals
are good and tried different settings. The freezer barely freezes because
of the heaters. The outside of the freezer area is always hot. Been like
this for a year, would try replacing a sensor or something if I knew where
to look. What's up with that?
Thanks,
Dave

Replace the defrost timer, or if your clever you could disconnect the element.
Keep in mind if you get a new one and do it yourself, the replacements might
not be identical to what you have and you will
have to look close to get it to work.

Bob

Dave Harnish

Hi Dave,

The heat you're feeling on the outside of the cabinet's from what's
called the 'Yoder Loop', which is just a pass of the condenser coil
that's run around the inside of the cabinet's front flange to prevent
condensation.

(Btw, the nice thing about this loop is the energy savings. They used
to use an electric heater for this, and as you can imagine, it was
harder on energy consumption than the use of this tubing that's running
warm anyway.

When the refrig runs more than usual, or in very hot weather, this area
can get warm enough to be uncomfortable to the touch.

I suspect yours is running excessively, and would check the condenser
for lint first. Depending on model, you should see this coil under the
cabinet, behind the bottom grille. Can be cleaned pretty easily, usually
from the front, with a brush made for the purpose, and a vacuum running.
You can see this type brush he
http://www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/condbrush.htm

Also be sure there's a back cover in place. If the rear cover's missing,
the symptoms will be similar to a clogged condenser coil. I carry
cardboard in the truck for fabricating these covers. It's not uncommon
for folks to remove these and leave them off, not realizing how important
they are for directing ambient air over both the coil and compressor.

I doubt if the defrost heater's on 24/7. When this happens (it's very rare),
the refrig won't keep food at proper temps in either comp't, it'll run all
the
time, and there's no way it'd continue for a year without developing into
major problems. The temps would be way too warm inside, and you'd
be seeing food spoilage throughout, not to mention probably smell melting
plastic from time to time.

I'd check that condenser (and rear cover) first, making sure its fan's
running
too, then pull the freezer's evaporator cover and observe the frost pattern
to check the refrigeration system itself. More about that he
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/drsn0303.htm
(see article #2)

Hope that's of some help. Merry Christmas, and God bless!

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

. ..