Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
KenM

Default Shower base - tive vs. acrylic

I'm going to re-do our shower, using tile. It has an acrylic shower base
which I want to replace.

Should I go with acrylic again, or do tile? What are issues regarding
durability, lifetime, leaks, ease of keeping clean?

For acrylic, I've found info on Jucuzzi and American Standard. Can you
recommend one of these, or another?

Judging by the instructions I've pulled of the web, installation of acrylic
looks pretty straightforward. Any useful tips?

I've done a half-dozen floor/backsplash tile projects, so I'm pretty
comfortable with doing the shower walls. But a tile base is another story.
Looking in a tile book, it doesn't seem too difficult. Is this something
that takes some experience to get right, or could I reasonably expect to get
it right the first time? This is on a second floor, so I definitely don't
want leaks to be a problem.

The book I looked at said to use a heavy plastic liner. I know in the old
days they used a lead liner. What's the current thinking in that area? Any
other tips for installing a tile base?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

HELP... water leak at base of toilet when showering Steve Home Repair 11 February 22nd 18 05:29 PM
Leaking Shower Base JustMe UK diy 2 August 19th 04 06:29 PM
Novice seeks any tips for installing rubber wall base Dolchas Home Repair 2 July 4th 04 03:22 PM
Shower: Acrylic or Fiberglass? den Home Repair 8 March 19th 04 12:05 AM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM