den

Default Shower: Acrylic or Fiberglass?

I'm planning to have install a shower and I'm not sure about the
material I should choose; acrylic or fiberglass?

Problem is I want to discard acrylic right from the start because I'm
under the impression that this material is so tin and fragile to
impact etc.

But the shower I would like to have is acrylic :-((

Should I persist in rejecting shower made of acrylic?

Any comments that would help me make a choice between acrylic and
fiberglass

Den

Grim

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 16-Mar-2004, den wrote:

Any comments that would help me make a choice between acrylic and
fiberglass

Just to confuse the issue, there are fiberglass reinforced acrylic
tubs and showers too.

Mike

Are there any acrylic reinforced fiberglass tubs and showers?? 8-P

Grim

Art

I saw a short video on the making of a Jacuzzi. They take acrylic and melt
it to a form. Then they turn it over and use ropes of fiberglass and
hardener to make the strong ugly backing. Kind of interesting.

On 16-Mar-2004, den wrote:

Any comments that would help me make a choice between acrylic and
fiberglass

Just to confuse the issue, there are fiberglass reinforced acrylic
tubs and showers too.

Mike

MLD

Got to the site at Sterling. They are part of Kohler. I just put in a
shower that is not fiberglass but some mix of plastic. It has a trade name
but can't remember off hand. In either case, the way it is installed it is
very rigid and I'm very satisfied with the installation. The biggest thing
to be aware of is the base. Mine, when put down, wasn't exactly on a level
surface and had some flexing to it when you stood on it. Already installed
with the drain connected so it couldn't be moved. Fix was to fill in all the
spaces with foam. Took four cans but it did the job very nicely.
MLD
"den" wrote in message
I'm planning to have install a shower and I'm not sure about the
material I should choose; acrylic or fiberglass?

Problem is I want to discard acrylic right from the start because I'm
under the impression that this material is so tin and fragile to
impact etc.

But the shower I would like to have is acrylic :-((

Should I persist in rejecting shower made of acrylic?

Any comments that would help me make a choice between acrylic and
fiberglass

Den

den

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:02:22 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 16-Mar-2004, den wrote:

Any comments that would help me make a choice between acrylic and
fiberglass

Just to confuse the issue, there are fiberglass reinforced acrylic
tubs and showers too.

Mike

And that was suppose to be a simple question! ;-)

Den

den

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:49:42 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

Got to the site at Sterling. They are part of Kohler. I just put in a
shower that is not fiberglass but some mix of plastic. It has a trade name
but can't remember off hand. In either case, the way it is installed it is
very rigid and I'm very satisfied with the installation. The biggest thing
to be aware of is the base. Mine, when put down, wasn't exactly on a level
surface and had some flexing to it when you stood on it. Already installed
with the drain connected so it couldn't be moved. Fix was to fill in all the
spaces with foam. Took four cans but it did the job very nicely.
MLD

Very good website; and as other have noted; it's not as simple as
acrylic vs fibergrass.

Thanks for sharing your experience; I also said to a friend I wanted
to change the bath. Suggested to put a plastic sheet on the floor, put
cement (not to much water) then an other plastic on top of the cement
then put in the bath. This way it won't move.

I was thinking of doing something like that under the shower (and the
bath) but I also like this idea with the foam.

Den

MLD

Do the foam, it's less expensive and certainly less complicated. Just keep
squirting the foam under the base until it starts to ooze out everywhere.
As it hardens it will continue to expand. When fully hardened it has a
consistency similar to styrophone. Trim around the base and the job is
finished. The base went from being a bit bouncy and flexing to as solid as a
rock.
MLD
"den" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Baker

wrote:

On 16-Mar-2004, den wrote:

Any comments that would help me make a choice between acrylic and
fiberglass

Just to confuse the issue, there are fiberglass reinforced acrylic
tubs and showers too.

Mike

And that was suppose to be a simple question! ;-)

Den

I have acrylic tub / shower units installed in 1979.
We clean with soft scrub and the like..
One was gauged during installation and repaired by a firm that does
refinishing for motels.
They both look like new.
We have a fiberglass unit installed in a rental in 1985 that we have
never been able to keep clean.

Tom Baker