Roger Shoaf

While it might cost a few bucks more, consider a terrazzo base. There is no
grout to worry about and if the floor is solid and you set in in a thin
mortar base it will never crack. Acrylic is nice and smooth but time will
take it's toll. Sooner or later someone will take cleanser to it and scratch
the snot out of it.

For the walls tile is good especially if you take the time to make sure
your walls are dead plumb and square. Be sure to do a good job on the vapor
barrier and you should be fine.

Another thing to consider is installing a vent light combination right in
the stall. This is definitely worth the price of admission.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"KenM" wrote in message
I'm going to re-do our shower, using tile. It has an acrylic shower base
which I want to replace.

Should I go with acrylic again, or do tile? What are issues regarding
durability, lifetime, leaks, ease of keeping clean?

For acrylic, I've found info on Jucuzzi and American Standard. Can you
recommend one of these, or another?

Judging by the instructions I've pulled of the web, installation of

acrylic
looks pretty straightforward. Any useful tips?

I've done a half-dozen floor/backsplash tile projects, so I'm pretty
comfortable with doing the shower walls. But a tile base is another

story.
Looking in a tile book, it doesn't seem too difficult. Is this something
that takes some experience to get right, or could I reasonably expect to

get
it right the first time? This is on a second floor, so I definitely don't
want leaks to be a problem.

The book I looked at said to use a heavy plastic liner. I know in the old
days they used a lead liner. What's the current thinking in that area?

Any
other tips for installing a tile base?

Thanks for your help.

Ken