Mike

Default Heater/vents making whirring noise

I have electric forced heat (I think that's what it's called) in my
house and there seems to be something wrong with it. Sometimes instead
of blowing out warm or hot air it blows out ice cold air and the temp.
in the house drops several degrees. Sometimes this is fixed by turning
it off for 20 minutes. Also, sometimes when the fan comes on something
smells like it got burnt. I was told that it's from the contacts or
something like that and while it should be repaired, it won't hurt
anything not to. Does anyone have any ideas as to why these things are
happening? The whole system needs to be replaced (it's 16 years old)
according to the repair guy.

The other problem is something my father did. I don't know what he did
but he was tinkering with the heater/fan/vents and now the one vent is
making this horrible, loud, whirring noise. It's so loud it gives me
an earache. We had this problem a few years ago and it was from a vent
in the basement being shut. I checked the basement and it doesn't look
like anyone touched them. Though I did notice that now when we shut
the basement door that there is a suction there that wasn't there
before. I'm thinking that it's from a vent but I can't figure it out.
My father claims he didn't do anything, but as usual, he's lying. Does
anyone know how I can fix this whirring problem?
m Ransley

A burnt smell ? You think that is safe? And you dont call in a tech ?

Travis Jordan

Mike wrote:
[...]

There are a number of things that could cause the intermittent heating
problem on an electric furnance. I wouldn't recommend trying to work on
this yourself unless you are very, very competent in handling electrical
equipment (which it appears you are not). Putting your hand in the wrong
place is a good way to get electrocuted.

Sounds like you should listen to your repair guy - they can fix whatever is
making the vent noise, too.

John Harlow

My father claims he didn't do anything, but as usual, he's lying. Does
anyone know how I can fix this whirring problem?

Nice of you to publicly disparage your father like that.

How about taking the advice of the repair man which has actually seen it?

Joseph Meehan

The relay contacts are burnt, just like the man said. He is likely
right about the rest as well. Not only that your father is likely telling
you the truth. Why do you ask questions if you don't believe anyone unless
they say what you want them to say. Don't bother and just do what you want
with out bothering the rest of the world.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
om...