DJA

Default Induction vs. Universal motor

Recently, Sears has been emphasizing that their lighter duty air
compressors have universal motors. Is this a good thing? I've read that
UMC motors allow extension cord use, provide higher startup torque and
are lighter in weight. But, does all that come at the cost of long-term
durability vs. an induction type motor?

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net
zxcvbob

DJA wrote:
Recently, Sears has been emphasizing that their lighter duty air
compressors have universal motors. Is this a good thing? I've read that
UMC motors allow extension cord use, provide higher startup torque and
are lighter in weight. But, does all that come at the cost of long-term
durability vs. an induction type motor?

Universal motors are loud and obnoxious, and the brushes need replacing
occasionally. Their one good characteristic is they will run on DC
power (got any 120V DC outlets?)

Bob
TURTLE

"DJA" wrote in message
Recently, Sears has been emphasizing that their lighter duty air compressors
have universal motors. Is this a good thing? I've read that UMC motors allow
extension cord use, provide higher startup torque and are lighter in weight.
But, does all that come at the cost of long-term durability vs. an induction
type motor?

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

This is Turtle.

Sear has on their cheap models of air compressors a very cheaply made compressor
and the universial motor will probley out last the compressor anyway. I can see
their point here in why puy a 30 year running life motor on a 10 year running
life compressor. Just put a 10 year motor on a 10 year compressor and have
everything matching up to last about 10 years.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Good point Turtle , but it seems like cheap things these days dont even
go the warranty period. Or they break 1 month later