turbo

Default wiring a basement

I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical. I have two light
switches one for each room. I have three outlets in each room. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to wire theese two rooms
starting from the breaker box.

DaveG

"turbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical. I have two light
switches one for each room. I have three outlets in each room. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to wire theese two rooms
starting from the breaker box.

I wouldn't give you information on how to even begin. Knowing as little
about electrical wiring as you do, before you start you need to learn from a
better source than this newsgroup.
Try looking thru the website www.homewiringandmore.com. This is full of
information. Also, there are a lot of how to books on home wiring projects,
you should read at least one. That way you can see if you are up to the
task. Also, get a permit, and inspections. Do it right, this isn't
anywhere to skimp.
For starters, three outlets in one bedroom does not meet code. Also, there
are arc fault and smoke detector rules for bedrooms, correct outlet spacing,
etc...
If you are handy you can learn, but not from postings here.

turbo

I have the smoke dectectors covered already they were in when i
started. Im running two seperate breakers in each room. I Just need to
know where to start from. Do i need to go to the switch first and then
to the light,or from the light down to the switch and then the
recepticals.

Joseph Meehan

turbo wrote:
I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical.

If clueless, you want to hire someone to do it. One simple error can
kill you, or worse yet cause a fire next year and kill your whole family.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Mikepier

You can do either, depending what's more feasible. Lets start with
scenario 1, going to the switch first.
You have power going to the switch. At this point you can do 1 of 2
things. Run a 3 wire from the switch to the light fixture. The whites
in the switch box will be wired together. The blacks will be tied
together, in addition it will be connected on 1 side of the switch.
The red wire will be connected to the other side of the switch. At the
light fixture there will be the 3 wire and also a 2 wire feeding your
outlets. The whites will be tied together and also connected to the
light fixture. The red wire connected to the other end of the light
fixture, and the blacks tied together. The other option you have is
just simply run a circuit from the switchbox to the outlet and just run
a 2 wire from the switchbox to the light fixture.
Now for scenario 2, power at the light fixture. Its very similiar to
scenario 1. Just run a 3 wire from the light down to the switchbox. at
the light fixture, the whites will be tied together and connected to
one end of the light. The blacks tied together, and the red connected
to the light.
at the switchbox, there will be the 3 wire and a 2 wire feeding your
outlet. The whites tied together, the blacks tied together in addition
it will be on 1 side of the switch. The red will be on the other side
of the switch.
The other option you can do is if power is going to the light, just run
a 2 wire from the light to the switch for the light control, and run a
2 wire from the light to the outlet .
Whatever you choose, make sure your boxes have room to accomadate the
wires.

Noozer

"turbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical. I have two light
switches one for each room. I have three outlets in each room. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to wire theese two rooms
starting from the breaker box.

It's pretty much impossible from this description...

You'll need at least two circuits for this. You don't want more than 12
outlets (lights, etc.) on a single 15 amp breaker. (at least according to
code here in Calgary).

Probably easiest to run one breaker to your light switches, then to a single
outlet below and up to the light. Run the other two outlets in each room to
their own breaker.

The layout of the rooms, etc. would dictate where and how the wires were
run.

Honestly it sounds like you might want to hire someone to do the wiring.
This sounds like a small job.

Don't forget to get your wiring permit from the city and let them inspect
it!

..... I just added five 15 amp circuits to my basement and the inspector said
my work was better than many contractors!

xrongor

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
turbo wrote:
I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical.

If clueless, you want to hire someone to do it. One simple error can
kill you, or worse yet cause a fire next year and kill your whole family.

how come whenever i post this advice you trash me? now here you are telling
him he's clueless and shouldnt do it...

randy

willshak

On 12/13/2004 1:16 PM US(ET), xrongor took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..

turbo wrote:

I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical.

If clueless, you want to hire someone to do it. One simple error can
kill you, or worse yet cause a fire next year and kill your whole family.

how come whenever i post this advice you trash me? now here you are telling
him he's clueless and shouldnt do it...

randy

The OP said he had 'no clue' about electricity. That sounds like
'clueless' to me. Perhaps those 'clues' would be better learned with a
book, rather than asking a bunch of strangers (some of which are also
clueless, but feel the need to offer opinions based on faulty logic,
hearsay, or ignorance).
Phisherman

On 13 Dec 2004 04:04:35 -0800, "turbo" wrote:

I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical. I have two light
switches one for each room. I have three outlets in each room. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to wire theese two rooms
starting from the breaker box.

No knowing about electrical will make the best choice to hire an
electrician. There are lots of codes, safety and such to deal with.
Think about where you want switches, light fixtures, outlets and any
appliances you may ever want in the rooms.

xrongor

"willshak" wrote in message
On 12/13/2004 1:16 PM US(ET), xrongor took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .

turbo wrote:

I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical.

If clueless, you want to hire someone to do it. One simple error can
kill you, or worse yet cause a fire next year and kill your whole
family.

how come whenever i post this advice you trash me? now here you are
telling him he's clueless and shouldnt do it...

randy

The OP said he had 'no clue' about electricity. That sounds like
'clueless' to me. Perhaps those 'clues' would be better learned with a
book, rather than asking a bunch of strangers (some of which are also
clueless, but feel the need to offer opinions based on faulty logic,
hearsay, or ignorance).

um, this post wasnt directed at you, and you have completely missed the
point. but as you say, some people feel the need to offer opinions based on
faulty logic, hearsay, or ignorance....

of course the guy is clueless and should hire a pro. but in the past when i
have pointed this out to people asking vague questions like 'how do i wire
my basement', ive gotten trashed. when ive said 'go down to the library and
get a book' ive gotten trashed. by the same person who is now offering the
same advice he has trashed me for.

my question; for joseph and not you, was and is: why has he felt the need
to trash me in the past for this advice that he is now giving?

randy

Tekkie

turbo posted for all of us....

I have two rooms I built in my basement I know all about the framing
and drywall but have no clue about the electrical. I have two light
switches one for each room. I have three outlets in each room. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to wire theese two rooms
starting from the breaker box.

Uhh, not to mess with you but is this to be habitable space? Do you have
the proper egress windows? Permit?
--
Tekkie