Davma

Default Opinions on new kitchen sinks

Hi,

We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with Corian.

Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel
coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches
link nobody's business.

We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless or
new composite.

Any opinions based on experience?

I prefer stainless for sinks.
We have one that is 25 years old and looks like new.
TB

Edward Grant

In article , "Davma"
wrote:

Hi,

We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with Corian.

Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel
coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches
link nobody's business.

We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless or
new composite.

Any opinions based on experience?

I just had Silestone counters installed and a new Pegasus Graphite sink.
I like it a lot. We had a stainless steel sink previously and I like
this one much better. We bought the whole package at Home Depot.
Doug Kanter

"Davma" wrote in message
Hi,

We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with

Corian.

Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel
coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches
link nobody's business.

We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless

or
new composite.

Any opinions based on experience?

Stainless, but make sure you look at various brands and price levels.
There's a reason the cheap ones are cheap. And, get a bigger one than you
initially think you need. There's ALWAYS some large pot or pan or serving
platter that won't fit the sink. Pay attention to the rigidity of the sink's
deck - where the faucet mounts. As minerals build up in the neck of the
faucet (where it pivots), it will become harder to move back & forth. If the
deck is too thin, moving the faucet back & forth can cause the base to lift
up slightly from the rubber seal. That will allow water to drip underneath
and you'll end up with a mess in the cabinet below.

Look also at sound deadening coatings on the various models. Some have none
at all.

Good points.
Look at the finish too.
We added a shiney stainless sink that shows water sposts and minor
scratches.
TB

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Good points.
Look at the finish too.
We added a shiney stainless sink that shows water sposts and minor
scratches.
TB

Yeah. Shiny is no indication of the quality of the material.

SQLit

"Davma" wrote in message
Hi,

We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with

Corian.

Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel
coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches
link nobody's business.

We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless

or
new composite.

Any opinions based on experience?

I went with an solid surface counter top and attached sink. Looked great!
Preformed like merde!
I cleaned out my ionic breeze and the carbon fines stained the sink. Full
strength Simple green got it out.
Could not keep the counter top and sink clean for more than an few hours.
Showed very spot and ALL of the dust.
I had hard water so that was another issue.

Good luck and may your results be better.
I will stick to stainless for ever now.

Jeff

Stainless is the most practical, we went with a double sink with a side
piece as well. Go the Elkay web site and look at selections. We keep a
stainless dish drainer in the deeper sink. Makes it easy to pile up pots
and pans after washing. Be sure to get a faucet shaped like and upside down
U, much better for big pots etc. Finally make sure the sink is 18 gauge not
20 gauge as many of the cheaper ones are.

"Davma" wrote in message
Hi,

We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with
Corian.

Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel
coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches
link nobody's business.

We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless
or new composite.

Any opinions based on experience?

wayne

I have a composite undermount sink and have been very happy with it for 3
years is cleans up well and the disposal is very quiet stainless seems to
make the disposal noisier. I went with a large DEEP single sink I don't see
any value in a double sink myself.
Pictures here
http://groups.msn.com/AlaskaCruiseCr...to&PhotoID=392

Wayne

"Davma"
wrote in message ...
Hi,

We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with
Corian.

Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel
coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches
link nobody's business.

We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless
or new composite.

Any opinions based on experience?

gary

I just put a new one in for a friend. She bought come sort of composite
material. It is black and I had to knock out the holes for the taps etc.
The holes are pre scored on the bottom. From the look of what I knocked out
it looked like some sort of concrete reinforced with fiberglass mesh. It is
also deeper than a normal sink. Next time I need a sink I am going to get
this one. It is great. Doesn't scratch any water spots are hidden by the
color and it always looks new.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...
Good points.
Look at the finish too.
We added a shiney stainless sink that shows water sposts and minor
scratches.
TB

Yeah. Shiny is no indication of the quality of the material.

Julie

"gary" wrote

I just put a new one in for a friend. She bought come sort of
composite material. It is black and I had to knock out the holes for
the taps etc. The holes are pre scored on the bottom. From the look
of what I knocked out it looked like some sort of concrete reinforced
with fiberglass mesh. It is also deeper than a normal sink.

Sounds like the one I put in - Pegasys (sp?), it's a granite composite.
It is nice and deep! However, due to the (very fine, but still there)
texture, and the (black) color, it does seem to hang on to stuff like
paint, and water marks show - so it's a bit hard to keep perfectly
spotless. It's done very well in terms of heat resistance, and seems
less brittle (glass-breaking) than porcelain sinks I've used.

Just my $0.02,
JSH

Davma

Thanks for all the input.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I prefer stainless for sinks.
We have one that is 25 years old and looks like new.
TB

SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S code_fu Woodworking 1 May 24th 05 04:09 PM
Corian for Kitchen Counters- Opinions Dave Home Repair 20 October 1st 04 06:26 PM
Damp/Mould in kitchen Colin E. UK diy 1 September 20th 04 12:11 PM
Kitchen Sinks: Vikrell or Americast? wjspm Home Repair 2 November 2nd 03 03:31 AM
kitchen electric Steve Smith Home Repair 5 October 30th 03 11:45 PM