Dave

Default Q re two speed furnace fans

Hello,

I know this question has been asked in different forms on this group,
but I couldn't find a very clear answer, so I was hoping for some new
input.

I just recently bought a Concord 90% efficient gas furnace with a dual
speed fan. The fan runs low speed when the furnace is not burning,
whereas the high speed kicks in when gas is burned. My two questions

1) What is the purpose of running the low speed fan? Is it for more
even heating throughout the house?

2) Does this save on gas (i.e. will the furnace burn less often?), and
how many watts is the fan on low-speed?

In my case, the air circulation includes an uninsulated basement,
whereas the thermostat is on the main floor.

Thanks in advance,
Frenk
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave" wrote in message

1) What is the purpose of running the low speed fan? Is it for more
even heating throughout the house?

Mostly, increases comfort, minimal temperature swings.

2) Does this save on gas (i.e. will the furnace burn less often?),

It may, but I don' t know for sure.

how many watts is the fan on low-speed?

Look in the manual for the motor rating.

In my case, the air circulation includes an uninsulated basement,
whereas the thermostat is on the main floor.

Insulate it and save a bundle.

TURTLE

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I know this question has been asked in different forms on this group,
but I couldn't find a very clear answer, so I was hoping for some new
input.

I just recently bought a Concord 90% efficient gas furnace with a dual
speed fan. The fan runs low speed when the furnace is not burning,
whereas the high speed kicks in when gas is burned. My two questions

1) What is the purpose of running the low speed fan? Is it for more
even heating throughout the house?

2) Does this save on gas (i.e. will the furnace burn less often?), and
how many watts is the fan on low-speed?

In my case, the air circulation includes an uninsulated basement,
whereas the thermostat is on the main floor.

Thanks in advance,
Frenk

This is Turtle.

1) Even out the temperature of the home.

2) From Low fan 200 watts to High fan 1,115 watts depending on what motor you
have on it. More spec. would be needed to get closer.

3 The uninsulated space is hurting you big time.

TURTLE