Ron

Default Chattering screw-drive 3/4hp Craftsman GDO

Just purchased and installed a new Sears 3/4hp garage door opener with a
screw drive mechanism. I am looking for durability, speed (on the box it
claims faster speed over 1/2hp), and quiet operation.

Installation was straightforward and simple, but the long screw inside the
channel "chatters" during operation. Still chatters after disconnecting the
door and running the opener itself. The door itself opens/closes
quietly...the noise is from the GDO. Sears claims this model never need
lubrication.

Also it does not have any apparent speed advantage over my neighbors' 1/2hp
openers. But mine is noisier!

Otherwise it works, but I am not happy with this expensive purchase. Any
suggestions other than taking it all down and returning this to Sears?

Harry K

"Ron" wrote in message
Just purchased and installed a new Sears 3/4hp garage door opener with a
screw drive mechanism. I am looking for durability, speed (on the box it
claims faster speed over 1/2hp), and quiet operation.

Installation was straightforward and simple, but the long screw inside the
channel "chatters" during operation. Still chatters after disconnecting
the door and running the opener itself. The door itself opens/closes
quietly...the noise is from the GDO. Sears claims this model never need
lubrication.

Also it does not have any apparent speed advantage over my neighbors'
1/2hp openers. But mine is noisier!

Otherwise it works, but I am not happy with this expensive purchase. Any
suggestions other than taking it all down and returning this to Sears?

IMO a screw drive will always be noiser than chain/cable pull. I
don't think they are any faster given equal HP.

Harry K
Art

If you take it down you might consider a Wayne Dalton I-Drive opener. I
think they sell them a Lowes. THey are available for non Wayne Dalton doors
and fit right above the door and there is no big rail to put up. My parents
have had the one made for a WD door for over a year and so far so good.

"Ron" wrote in message
Just purchased and installed a new Sears 3/4hp garage door opener with a
screw drive mechanism. I am looking for durability, speed (on the box it
claims faster speed over 1/2hp), and quiet operation.

Installation was straightforward and simple, but the long screw inside the
channel "chatters" during operation. Still chatters after disconnecting
the door and running the opener itself. The door itself opens/closes
quietly...the noise is from the GDO. Sears claims this model never need
lubrication.

Also it does not have any apparent speed advantage over my neighbors'
1/2hp openers. But mine is noisier!

Otherwise it works, but I am not happy with this expensive purchase. Any
suggestions other than taking it all down and returning this to Sears?

Doordoc

"Ron" wrote in message ...
Just purchased and installed a new Sears 3/4hp garage door opener with a
screw drive mechanism. I am looking for durability, speed (on the box it
claims faster speed over 1/2hp), and quiet operation.

Installation was straightforward and simple, but the long screw inside the
channel "chatters" during operation. Still chatters after disconnecting the
door and running the opener itself. The door itself opens/closes
quietly...the noise is from the GDO. Sears claims this model never need
lubrication.

Also it does not have any apparent speed advantage over my neighbors' 1/2hp
openers. But mine is noisier!

Otherwise it works, but I am not happy with this expensive purchase. Any
suggestions other than taking it all down and returning this to Sears?

I would assume you have a three piece rail & the chatter is probably
in the splices. Check to make sure all the splice collars are in place
properly. If they are in place I would call Sears (as someone else
also suggested)to see what they will do, but I would not consider
"chattering" to be normal on this unit.

The screw does not need to lubricated. There is an inner liner
(usually yellow) between the screw & the rail & therefore the metal
screw does not rub on the rail. I have never noticed that the 3/4 hp
runs any faster then the 1/2 hp either but higher speed openers are
not good for some garage doors & will literally tear apart some types
of doors. The one-piece screw drive rails runs pretty quiet but the
belt drive is quieter then the screw drive & the dc belt drive is the
most quiet.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Ron

The splice collars are fine. The chattering is metallic, coming along the
length of the screw in various places. Sears has not responded to my email
yet. I can live with the normal speed of the GDO, but the noise is a bit
much. Makes it sound cheap.

"Doordoc" wrote in message
om...