Marvelous

Default Tappan gas range broiler problem

When you turn on my Tappan Gas Range (Model No. 30-3991)to Broiler,
whether on Low or High, it has hardly any flame at all. The broiler
ignites but the flame is very small or only at the far end (in the
oven). By fanning my hand I can get the flame to "crawl" all the way
around the broiler burner. Does anyone know how to fix this so that
it works like it should?
Marvelous

(jeff) wrote in message . com...
(Marvelous) wrote in message . com...

Hi,

When you turn on my Tappan Gas Range (Model No. 30-3991)to Broiler,

That appears to be part of a full model#, I found...
30-3991-00-01 30-3991-00-02 30-3991-00-03 30-3991-23-01 30-3991-23-02

whether on Low or High, it has hardly any flame at all. The broiler
ignites but the flame is very small or only at the far end (in the
oven). By fanning my hand I can get the flame to "crawl" all the way
around the broiler burner. Does anyone know how to fix this so that
it works like it should?

Could be as simple as a dirty burner or clogged up with something (
spider web, ect ), so check the ignitors amp draw because if the
ignitor is drawing too little currect the gas safety valve cannot
fully open, last would be the gas safety valve itself.
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/h...e-ignsheet.jpg
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=12874
Broiler igniter assembly with bracket and wires, amperage range 3.2 -
3.6

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

That is the model number I wrote in the owner's guide when I bought
the stove. I would have to pull the stove out to get the full model
no. off the back.

The igniter is glowing but i will check both for a dirty burner and
also for the correct amp draw. I wondered if the gas valve was
defective. The gas supply to the surface burners and the oven work
just fine. Do they have separate gas valves or does the stove just
have one for all?

Tnx. Marvelous
jeff

(Marvelous) wrote in message om...
(jeff) wrote in message . com...
[...]

They normally never hide the model# on the back
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/tagsearch.cgi
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

The igniter is glowing but i will check both for a dirty burner and
also for the correct amp draw.

For sure check the amp draw!!...very common to have a weak ignitor and
yes it can glow and still be bad.

I wondered if the gas valve was
defective.

Possible for sure, rare but possible.

The gas supply to the surface burners and the oven work
just fine. Do they have separate gas valves or does the stove just
have one for all?

No gas safety valves for the surface as each burner has it's own
manualy valve which is seperate for the oven burners. The range has
one pressure regulator, but it would normally effect everything if bad
or failing.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/