Steve56A

Default Cutting/sawing a hot water tank in half.

Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

Speedy Jim

Steve56A wrote:

Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

If you use an abrasive saw you will wind up with a basement full
of lung irritants. Put a couple of 3/4" nipples in the top
for handles and get someone to help haul it up.

Jim
mwlogs

If you are hell-bent on cutting it in half, use a reciprocating saw
(Saw-zall) not a circular saw. Less metal dust and cheaper blades.

But as was suggested - just get some help and carry it out in one piece.
The bulk pickup guys pick these up for a living.

"Steve56A" wrote in message
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of
the basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and
discard if I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut
in half.

John Cochran

In article ,
Steve56A wrote:
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

Why would you need to do that? Most hot water heaters are fairly light
after they've been emptied.
Richard J Kinch

Steve56A writes:

But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to
cut in half.

If you're going to all that trouble, you might as well add some hinges and
turn it into a barbecue, instead of throwing it out.

m Ransley

It will cost more in blades than the tank is worth

Jim Elbrecht

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:25:55 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Steve56A writes:

But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to
cut in half.

If you're going to all that trouble, you might as well add some hinges and
turn it into a barbecue, instead of throwing it out.

I wish I'd thought of that. I cut one in half last year, but did it
so I ended up with two open topped cylinders.

Cutting the long way would have been tricky, but it would have made a
great smoker.

I used a plywood blade in my circular saw. When I first read of that
method of cutting steel I was doubtful, but I've cut 50-60' of heavy
gauge steel with it and it's black & ugly now, but still does the
trick. [and it wouldn't cut plywood when I started.]

I don't think I'd perform that operation in the basement, though.
If I really had to cut it in half there, I'd use cutting oil and metal
blades in a jigsaw or reciprocating saw.

Jim
Harry K

"Steve56A" wrote in message ...
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

As others have said, it is easy to move one once it is empty. I
removed mine from the basement by myelf. If you really want to cut it
up, that is also easy, simple and cheap. I did it to make a watering
trough.

Sabre saw and metal cutting blade. I think I busted one blade, the
other is still useable. It is a NOISY operation but no dust to worry
about, only the cuttings to clean up. My total cut was two
lenghthwise and 2 1/3 way around each end, time about 10 minutes. You
can also use a cutting torch but need really good ventilation (see
barbecue below).

As for making a barbecue - don't do it. Galvanized plus barbecue
temps equal poison gas. You might be able to burn it off before
useing it but I wouldn't try it.

Harry K
Dan Hall

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
"Steve56A" wrote in message
[...]

I removed a thirty gallon tank which was twenty some years old in an area of
fairly hard water. It must have weighed two hundred pounds or more from all
the sediment built up in it over the years! I got it out of the basement
myself but nearly busted a gut doing so. New tank felt ten times lighter.
Would surely get some help next time and try the "pipe handle" solution
given earlier or try cutting.
-Dan

I wish I'd thought of that. I cut one in half last year, but did it
so I ended up with two open topped cylinders.

In that case, you line it with refractory cement and melt iron
in it.

Steve56A

Thanks for all of the comments and ideas.

I was mostly trying to get an idea about how thick the steel is on the tank
and how hard it is to cut. Based on the comments from those who actually
cut a hot water tank in the past, it seems like the cutting process is not
too difficult.

The tank is at someone else's house, so the next time I go there I think
I'll bring both types of saws and take a try at it -- mostly out of
curiosity. I know I can always just get someone to help me carry it out,
and that might be what I end up doing.

Thanks again.

"Steve56A" wrote in message
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of

the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard

if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut

in
half.

zxcvbob

Steve56A wrote:
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

If I really wanted to do something like that, I would use an ax.

Bob
Stormin Mormon

Please tell us what you find out. I know of at least one house that has
three or four hot water heaters lined up in the cellar. Cause plumbers don't
feel like hauling them out.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve56A" wrote in message
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

John Hines

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Please tell us what you find out. I know of at least one house that has
three or four hot water heaters lined up in the cellar. Cause plumbers don't
feel like hauling them out.

That is why there are junk guys. I hired a company to get rid of my old
chicken coop, and the routine was "anything that 2 guys can carry, and
you pay by the qtr truckload". In my case it was a half truck load
worth.
Harry K

"Steve56A" wrote in message
Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of

the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard

if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut

in
half.

Don't try it with a circular saw even with a metal blade. You will
have dust, noise...noise and more noise. Sabre saw or sawzall is the
way to go. Blades are a lot cheaper too.

Harry K

Mick

In article ,
"Steve56A" wrote:

Okay, this is a goofy question.

Has anyone ever tried cutting or sawing the inside tank of an electric hot
water heater in half?

I took an old electric hot water heater apart and I am left with just the
steel inside tank. I am thinking about cutting it in half by using a
circular saw with a metal-cutting blade and cutting it around the middle.
Mostly I am just thinking that it will be easier to lug each half out of the
basement, and it will be easier for the trash guys to pick up and discard if
I cut it in half.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands. But, seriously, I am
curious if anyone has ever tried this and, if so, how hard it was to cut in
half.

I cut mine accross the top, down one side and accross the bottom and
spread it open like a clamshell and used it as a covered pig feeder
several years ago when we raised 5 hogs for ourselves and family.
I used a Milwaukee Sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Only took one
blade. Maybe an eighth inch thick at the thickest. Needless to say use
eye and ear protection.
I was an installer for several years and if a plumber comes into your
house and doesn't take his waste with him. Well that just ain't right!

Mick